making doors removable

Hate to say it, but search is your friend, my friend. Darren did a write up on this awhile back, with pics.

viewtopic.php?p=172202#p172202

Why couldn't you make somesort of pin to hold it in place? I mean, still removable, but keep all of the hinge, and run a pin through it. It would take 2 dudes to take the doors off, but it would retain all of the strength of the whole hinge.

Rob L. :dunno:

Don't do it Wade. Your truck is too nice.

No doors is awesome fun, but no matter how hard I tried to adjust them, I could never get them to line up as good as they did before. Everyone I know who's done this has run into the same issues, opening and closing the door, and getting them to seal. I tried 97+ door seals to see if that would make it better, and if it did I couldn't really tell. I probably won't ever do it again, unless I lived in a area like California or Arizona where there is a lot more warm dry weather.

So in a nutshell I loved it for about 3 months, and hated it for 9.

The trick is to not unbolt ANYTHING. Leave the door bolted to the hinge and do not unbolt it!

If you take a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to the lower part of the hinge, you can simply than just knock it off with a hammer once it's cut. It's a bit hard to get in there, but if you take your time you can get to it with the dremel tool. All '90 and older jeeps I've ever seen have the pins pressed on from the top. Our '93 has the pass. side pin pressed in from the bottom thus it'll need welded. But if you just cut the hinge on the door without unbolting it you won't have a single issue with fitment issues. On my XJ I've not had an issue and the doors seal just fine and they have been modded for over 5 years.

Yes I know the following photo's show the hinge with the door off of it, but just use them for reference for where to make the cut at.

driverhinge2.jpg

driverhinge3.jpg

And one last tip... I've also cut the pin down once the doors are off so it fits just past the hinge. I've also rounded it a bit and taken a decent amount of sandpaper to the pin to help with lifting them on/off.

Oh and something else... Don't cut any wires! There is a quick-disconnect behind the side kick panel that will also you to just undo the wiring harness and feed it threw the hole.

well, i won't be running doorless. I'm making a set of half doors so i shouldnt run into a problem of alignment.

thanks for the pics adam. why shouldnt i unbolt the hinge?

i think i have come up with a plan though. I'm gonna unbolt the door, drill out the hinge pin and replace it with a larger one. it will be longer than the width of the hinge so all i would have to do is tap out both pins and take the door off. i will still retain the strength of the factory hinge but with a easy to remove door.

The adjustment in the door itself is done by the 3 bolts with a plate inside the door that moves once you loosen the bolts. There are also shims placed behind the bolts/hinge. If you loosen the bolts you'll never get the door aligned correctly again as it's a trial by error method.

Do as you please, but I'm just trying to save you a lot of work and a major headache....

Good luck finding a bolt/pin that is the correct size as the factory. It's some crazy size and I've yet to fine something that fits tight without slop. I can honestly have the doors off in less than 2 minutes doing it the way I have posted above. Back on in less than 5. No need to worry about loosing a pin or anything...

I'm just worried about strength issues chopping the lower portion of the hinge off.

i would really only need to unbolt it once to put a pin in. i would never have to unbolt it again i wouldnt think. I'm not gonna get a factory pin either, I'm gonna drill it out to something that fits.

thats just dumb makes the cab weak and looks stupid. thats my opinion don't get offended

its not a wrangler or a samurai i have seen cherokees without doors and it just looks stupid.

i never said i was running doorless. i will have a set of half doors.

wade, removing the hinges from the door itself will result in your doors no longer being perfectly sealed. the only way to actually get it "perfect" is to remove your fenders, put the two bolts per hinge that are "in-line" almost all the way in with the shims in EXACTLY the same order and same hinge as before, close the door, and then have someone push the door towards the cab while you tighten the bolts with an extended T50.

it's a pain in the @$$. do what adam says and just cut the hinges with the doors on. come out to my place next weekend and you can use my sawzall to get the second set of hinges and shims off of the longbed we're scrapping, and use those hinges on your half doors.

your new pins should be grade 8 bolts.

thats just dumb makes the cab weak and looks stupid. thats my opinion don't get offended

its not a wrangler or a samurai i have seen cherokees without doors and it just looks stupid.

i never said i was running doorless. i will have a set of half doors.

now that my be interesting like a tube door

why did you stop chopping where you did? they still seem a little tall for half doors. what caused you to have to stop?

the fact that it was a trial, and the seats are right about at that line would be my guess.

he's not cutting the window frame off....good thing because then he can make button-up sides for it

why did you stop chopping where you did? they still seem a little tall for half doors. what caused you to have to stop?

there was no reason where i cut it. i just taped a general cut on the door, said that looked good, and cut it.

Thats the kinda work i like :thumbsup: did you make another one to match it yet?

there was no reason where i cut it. i just taped a general cut on the door, said that looked good, and cut it.

Thats the kinda work i like :thumbsup: did you make another one to match it yet?

nope. i currently only have the driver door. i should be getting a passenger door sometime this week.

Were you thinking of running a piece of tube where the top edge of the door would be? Just looking at it, I would find myself searching for a place to put my arm. It would still be open, and have a nice perch for a man-arm on top of the tube.

Rob L. :dunno: