Just picked up a Turbo Diesel MJ!!

Rebelfish99

Jealously is a very ugly thing. You sicken me. (I have always wanted one of those things). And she is even in great shape too.

Diesels rock. I had a VW Jetta that would get 47 - 52 mpg depending on driving habits.

Congrats! :cheers:

Sweet. I would replace the parts for new, but keep it tuned to stock. Or just bump up the HP just a little. :brows:

you literally can't tune these engines up. you do that, you're gonna kill it. plain and simple

i already pulled up the carpet and absolutely NO RUST. not even surface spots. And yes its A LOT easier to park than my deuce. I just called the guy and asked him if he wanted a Deuce and he said sure, so title for title we traded.

Except today I blew an oil hose while sitting in traffic so I got it parked right now and driving my other MJ.

that happens every once in awhile. be sure to fill the oil a bit high before startup so it will prime itself.

even tho your getting 40 highway are u saving that much more? diesel by me is through the roof :hmm:

Why don't you take a look at the cost next time your at the station and do some math.

Around here diesel is about 10% more expensive than gas. You generally see about 30% better mileage.

Even when diesel was 5.50 a gallon and gas was 4.50 a gallon, thats 20% more expensive, still see a savings of about 10%.

I went and looked up prices in long island, for several stations I found that diesel was 3.10 and 2.80 for gas.

Thats 10% more per gallon for diesel.

Oh, and if you weren't saving that much more the diesel market share in europe wouldn't be 55%. One of the reasons diesels don't have a bigger market share is because Americans are generally misinformed and only see the price at the pump, and can't do the math to figure that even if it costs more per gallon, its still cheaper per mile.

Plus, diesels burn cleaner than gasoline engines do(look at weighted brake specific emissions), so as a diesel owner you get to look down your nose at all those polluting hybrids.

even tho your getting 40 highway are u saving that much more? diesel by me is through the roof :hmm:

Why don't you take a look at the cost next time your at the station and do some math.

Around here diesel is about 10% more expensive than gas. You generally see about 30% better mileage.

Even when diesel was 5.50 a gallon and gas was 4.50 a gallon, thats 20% more expensive, still see a savings of about 10%.

I went and looked up prices in long island, for several stations I found that diesel was 3.10 and 2.80 for gas.

Thats 10% more per gallon for diesel.

Oh, and if you weren't saving that much more the diesel market share in europe wouldn't be 55%. One of the reasons diesels don't have a bigger market share is because Americans are generally misinformed and only see the price at the pump, and can't do the math to figure that even if it costs more per gallon, its still cheaper per mile.

Plus, diesels burn cleaner than gasoline engines do(look at weighted brake specific emissions), so as a diesel owner you get to look down your nose at all those polluting hybrids.

Well said, and to add to your points.

Diesel should be much lower in price than gasoline as it is a less purified petrolium product than gasoline and costs less to make. There are many reasons for the high cost of diesel but for the most part it boils down to spreading the cost to those who will complain the least. Gas prices would be much higher than they are now if diesel were priced where it should be. People are fooled into believing that they don't pay for the high priced diesel consumed in this country because they drive a gas powered vehicle. They are wrong. Diesel is the fuel that produces and moves all the goods people consum in their daily lives. The cost of that fuel is reflected in everything they buy.

I drive a 2.1 Comanche about 250 miles a week and have been doing so for a few years now. My fuel cost per week at the current price is about $20. Show me a 4.0 that will come close to that and I will buy it.

opsled

Now back to topic. VERY NICE FIND!!!!!! I have one as a daily driver and would buy a new one if it were possible. Leave it stock and learn what you can about it to keep it maintained. They are an odd engine and parts are very hard to find. Even harder is finding someone willing (or smart enough) to work on it. Do yourself a BIG favor and check to see if the timing belt has ever been replaced. The book calls for replacment at 90,000 miles. This is an interference engine. If you blow a timing belt the exhaust valves will hit the pistons and break the exhaust rocker arms (this is experience speaking). There are many differences between it and a gas and they are not just engine related. Parts are not available from any jeep dealer and are very expensive. They can be found from other sources but you will do some chasing to get them. The one I'm driving will be in JeepcoMJ's hands soon for a much deserved reserection.

An odd duck to be sure but a stand out in any Jeep crowd.

opsled

Luckily the old shop where I used to work, the owner knows where to get all the parts and has worked on them before.

And diesel here is only about $2.59 a gallon. Gas is $2.39. Then again, I do live in a port city

Luckily the old shop where I used to work, the owner knows where to get all the parts and has worked on them before.

And diesel here is only about $2.59 a gallon. Gas is $2.39. Then again, I do live in a port city

About 8% difference, here its about 10%, so we are still right right on.

over the past 5 years, I have located 26 of them in the states...I thought this made 27, but it was one I had already counted.

most of them are in junkyards, i know of 4 still in service, and a couple that run but need attention. there's rumour of someone who has several of them in some redneck state, but I can't verify that.