The Axle Plan

OK, I'm going with a rear Ford 9" out of an early Bronco. I was going with a full size 9, but our sample truck with tires had 80" from tire outside to tire outside, which is exactly what my trailer width is and I don't want to compensate with backspacing that much.

We're guessing the early bronco axle will take a couple inches off each side.

I'm planning 5.88s, selectable lockers in both and disc conversion. Hopefully I'll be able to run 38s..

So, ideally, where should I get a front axle from? I'm assuming that Currie or someone can build me a Ford 9" with mounts that fit my Skyjacker lift- where is the best place to buy from? I basically want a ady to bolt in 9.

Also I'm going with 9s because we figured doing 60/70 or 70s would be too heavy for the 2.5L.

Thoughts? Who should I buy the front from?

comancheB.gif

You don't think coming out around 74-78" total is wide enough?

64" axle (?), 10" rims, 5" BS (?), 14" wide tires...

Also, question I forgot... what bolt pattern? 5 on 5.5 or Ford 8-lug? And why that pattern.... I have no rims in either pattern except that my tow rig is 8-lug.

Yeah, I'd rather go Ford 9s at both ends. They should hold up to the weight of the truck and the 38s. Plus its a shorter explaination...

"Yeah, they're Ford Nines front and rear"

vs.

"Well, it's a Dana 44 Front, with chromolly shafts and D60 outers and a Ford Nine rear."

Phew. My signature is alreay full...

I thought I would mention this here in the October issue they had a right up of axle upgrades there is one here that seem like it would be great but I don’t know I am new at this. It on page 27 item #10 Spidertrax Spider-9 Front axle it says that it is a 9” center and Dana 60 outers don’t know but it sound tuff as hell. Just my thought.

Most of the 9" fronts use D60 outers. Actually, never seen one without? You can actually homebrew them up too, but, it's a lot of work. I know a CJ that's running around with 9" front and rear and has been for about 15 years!

Anywho, 9" axles are a great choice if you want to throw money around. Consider Hi-9's front and rear. Mmm.

Or, portal-tek 9" axles. O-lalala.

Hi-9's are 9" third members that are custom built to make them high-pinion. And I mean, they're REALLY high-pinion.

Hi9fromSide.jpg

And portal-tek's are custom 9" housings with modified volvo portal boxes.

http://www.portal-tek.com/

You can put a hi-9 in them and have the strangest driveshaft angle problem ever. It will actually be too steep in the upward direction!

Good point, well I'm used to following YJs and TJs down tight ATV-originated trails here in Indiana, and full widths or semi full will definitly be an issue in some places. The best evidence being the smashed XJ fenders and crushed doors that I pulled back out countless times.

But I probably will only drive the truck here once, maybe never. Either way I'm comfortable with running full widths, just that with tires it's not likely that they'll fit on my trailer, and I don't mind shelling out some dough for the front 9, but I don't want to buy a new trailer just to fit an axle width I don't really want.

As far as the high 9, that's cool but I think useless for me. Luckily whenever I want to waste money on some I can drop 'em in. They certainly would be a waste here in Indiana, but I've never wheeled in AZ so who knows. Of course I also have to have more money to waste as most of my budget is going into the front axle.

No comments on lug patterns?

I was just saying it for the hell of it. I know it's 5x5.5. Because a D44 hub won't work with a smaller bolt pattern. And ford refused to use the 6-bolt pattern of chevy and the evil imports.

I freaking hate that they didn't. I have to find a set of 5x5.5 now cause all the cheap Ford axles I can find have that.

[Early Bronco] bolt pattern is 5x5.5?

Yes but I'm going with 30 spline shafts and a rear disc conversion which I think means I can order them in any bolt pattern.

Go 8-bolt. Makes the front 9" a lot easier on the builders and parts avaliability. To run 5x5.5 on D60 outers you have to redrill brake rotors and crap...