CB cable routing from bed/fire extinguisher mount

I mounted my CB antenna just above the rear DS tire on the top of the bed rail. I am wondering how others have routed their cable back into the cab from the bed locations?

I also have a bracket for my fire extinguisher like this one:

Kidde-Fire-Extinguisher-Bracket-LSS-_i_GIS_175996.jpg

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to mount this bracket? There are a couple of tool boxes under the back window.

Thanks. :cheers:

I ran the cable from the CB, down to the carpet, along the hump, threw a 3/4" hole in the back of the cab. Then up between the bed and cab. Then attached it all along the bed side with cable wraps as shown. Keep it straight, don't coil up any extra. Cut it to nearly exact length needed. Be sure of the ground where the base attaches. If in any doubt, attach your own ground as I have. When finished, test for continuity between mast and ground. There should be NONE!

Good luck,

CW

Thanks CW. I was looking more for how people got it into the cabin....the 3/4" hole sounds like it will do the trick. I didn't want to cut without planning it out first. And the fire extinguisher bracket looks like a decent place for the trail....except I have a factory tailgate, instead of your schnazzy setup (which I'd rather have lol).

I dreaded drilling such a big hole for a time too... RTV sealed it perfectly and no issues have resulted. Just measure carefully. There is a nice shelf at the back of the cab where you should stay under for the exit from the cab. It acts like a drip guard and works well.

I drilled mine just to the DS of the hump so I was able to get it lo-enough. If you would like I can snap a pic for you..

CW

I drilled mine just to the DS of the hump so I was able to get it lo-enough. If you would like I can snap a pic for you..

CW

That would be great, not just for me, but for anyone else looking to do the same. :cheers:

CW

That would be great, not just for me, but for anyone else looking to do the same. :cheers:

:agree:

:agree: x2

• 7 months later...

There is a plastic/rubber plug that is on the floor right behind the Drivers rear seat bolt under the carpet, you can see the plug under the truck. I think it is a drain plug of some sort? :dunno: Anyways I ran mine right through the center of that plug and put some RTV around it to seal it up. The plug acts as a grommet to keep the cable off the metal and seals up nice. then I just ran it under the carpet to my CB. Unless it is just an '88 thing, it works pretty well.

There is a plastic/rubber plug that is on the floor right behind the Drivers rear seat bolt under the carpet, you can see the plug under the truck. I think it is a drain plug of some sort? :dunno: Anyways I ran mine right through the center of that plug and put some RTV around it to seal it up. The plug acts as a grommet to keep the cable off the metal and seals up nice. then I just ran it under the carpet to my CB. Unless it is just an '88 thing, it works pretty well.

X2, had mine there for a few months, no complaints.

I installed my firestick on the bed behind the driver today. That rubber plug made the install cake: no drilling the cab! I drilled another hole in the plug for the cables, split it to get the cable in, and popped it back on: it fits like it was a factory deal. Makes it easy to run the cable under the carpet from where it enters the cab. Excellent tip.

I don't seem to have a good photo of it online, but I lined the back wall with 3/4" plywood and covered it with cheap speakerboard carpet. I can mount fire extinguishers and maglight flashlights, etc any where I want. :D

Wherever you put the antenna, be sure to have a good ground. Check the match to the antenna with an SWR meter. A bad match can blow the finals in the radio.

By "finals" I mean the power transisters. Over the years I've seen too many install an antenna without tuning it or at least checking the match and a week later, the radio is in the shop.