Eagle Talon tsi

Does any one know what the 5 speed trans in the 1992 Eagle Talon was? I have the chance to get one, wrecked, but can't find any info on it. Since it 's Chrysler I'm thinking it might be a AX15 but nobody seems to know. The way the car is now I can't get to the tran to check it out. Jim

:dunno:

Same trans as the mitsubishi GS , GST , GSX eclipse . not sure of the part no # but a TSI is all wheel drive like the GSX , same motor and

drivetrain . I think they used allot of the same components on the turbo Neon as well .

The drivetrain has major problems like a god awful timing belt and tensioner , once one of those fails once , you just swiss cheesed all 16

valves real quick . I did that twice before getting rid of the POS .

Not Chysler.... Mitsubishi

its made by chysler

its diamond star motors DSM

no its not a ax-15

the AWD trans has a t-case that bolts to the side to run the RWD

for all of you trolls and people who want to argue this check out website i have been building race motors and turbo cars for 12 years now www.cimotorsports.net

There is a Japanese car maker that uses a similar trans... Did you know that you can use hop ups for toyota supras in an AX15... Thats whatre used in my bros Terminator AX-15

A lot of Toyota transmissions are similar, because they're made by Aisin. I used to be in the Supra crowd, and they used the R151 (AX-15's cousin), and the AW-4 behind the 7M motors.

I believe the 5Ms in the MKIIs used a cousin to the AX-5, as well as the smaller pickups with the 42RE motor.

There is a Japanese car maker that uses a similar trans... Did you know that you can use hop ups for toyota supras in an AX15... Thats whatre used in my bros Terminator AX-15

A lot of Toyota transmissions are similar, because they're made by Aisin. I used to be in the Supra crowd, and they used the R151 (AX-15's cousin), and the AW-4 behind the 7M motors.

I believe the 5Ms in the MKIIs used a cousin to the AX-5, as well as the smaller pickups with the 42RE motor.

:hijack:

Really? This is very interesting info to know.

My first two cars were Supras: an '82 MKII with a 5-speed, and an '87 MKIII Turbo 5-speed. I gave the '82 to my Dad (after I bought the '86) almost 12 years ago. He used it as his daily commuter until just a couple years ago, when he decided to park it because the body was finally swiss-cheese. Despite that, the engine's still going strong with well over 350K on it. He wants to restore it, just doesn't have the time yet. The '86 is a different story - I owned it for about a year before I totaled it. Fell asleep at the wheel with the cruise control on :eek: and was extremely lucky to crawl away from the ensuing carnage. And the car + my own immaturity had got me in plenty of trouble before that. The wreck was a wake-up call, and I realized I'd be better off having fun in vehicles that couldn't regularly go +100mph. That's when I bought my ZJ and started getting into Jeeps :chillin:

After the '86 was totaled, I pulled the engine, tranny, drivetrain, ECU and then had the rest of it towed off. The guts have all been sitting in a corner of may Dad's garage ever since. We always figured we'd eventually swap it into the MKII.

So how similar are they? If you had a donor R151, AX15 and transfer case to swap parts between, would it be possible to have a Turbo'd 7M powered, 4x4 MJ? :brows:

Same trans as the mitsubishi GS , GST , GSX eclipse . not sure of the part no # but a TSI is all wheel drive like the GSX , same motor and

drivetrain . I think they used allot of the same components on the turbo Neon as well .

The drivetrain has major problems like a god awful timing belt and tensioner , once one of those fails once , you just swiss cheesed all 16

valves real quick . I did that twice before getting rid of the POS .

I had an SRT-4 and I'm pretty sure that they share nothing in common. Always wanted one of these:

GotRice.jpg

5-speed Talons/Lasers/Eclipses used the Mitsubishi 5M transmissions and Mitsu transfer cases: http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/eagle_summit_talon.html. I believe the auto's were 4-speeds that came from Chrysler. The engines are also different. Non-Turbo's had a Chrysler supplied engine that was based off the 2.0 Neon. Turbo's got the Mitsu 4G

IMO, debating whether they're Chrysler or Mitsubishi is splitting hairs - they're a huge mix of both. Mitsu designed the platform, Chrysler styled it. They shared Chrysler/Mitsu engines & drivetrains, depending on the model. Built in an American plant that Chrysler fronted most the $$ for, managed in the Mitsu style. There was so much cross-pollination between the brands in the 80's & 90's, it's hard to keep track.

:agree:

The first gen DSM's were better through manufacturer design , the early years used cast iron blocks better suited for over boosting but

most of the non turbo neons , dsm's and eclipses used the chrysler motor and the turbo models all got the better mitsubishi power plant .

Better cylinder head but shaty clutch , even the new lancers have faulty clutches .

Instead of fixing the clutch problem the dealerships blame the people driving the cars and charge them for replacing it .

That was my last straw with Mitsubishi when a spanking new OZ rally edition threw a clutch three months into owning it .

I don't care how hard I was on it , the clutches should last at least three months . EEFFF MITSUBISHI !!

They should have stuck to making airplanes and bombers for the JDF . soapbox.gif