Engine - 1st crank after setting

I have found a Comanche that has been setting in a shed for 4+ years. The owner bought a new truck and did not want to solve his small miss in the engine, so he parked it in a shed beside his tractors. The body is in great shape (faded paint but no rust), but the engine has not been cranked in almost 5 years. 1988 MJ 4x4 with 111,000 from the original owner.

The owner changed the oil religiously ever 3k miles. Some of the hoses need replacing, but I am more worried about the top end of the engine. What would you guys recommend doing prior to trying to start it the 1st time?

thanks.

if you're that worried, pull the spark plugs, and squirt a little oil, or trans fluid in each cylinder, let it sit for a little while, then crank it over by hand with a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt.

if it turns freely, turn it over a couple times then put the plugs in, change the oil and filter, and go from there. it will smoke badly when you start it after that, don't worry. if it doesn't turn freely, i'd just let it soak some more.

:agree: But with one more step. After turning the motor over by hand I spin it with the starter for maybe 30 seconds, or if I can see the lifters when I see oil flowing. This gets oil into the bearings, lifters, etc, so the engine isn't fired up dry. Also I made an adapter where I can remove the distributer, where applicable, and spin the oil pump using a 1/2 electric drill.

Sorry, but WD-40 does no such thing. It is simply a slippery liquid and a water displacer. A actual "rust penetrator" would be your best bet. PB-Blaster is my fave, but there are others out there.

I recently put a motor into an XJ that had been sitting for almost a year. After we got it all in, once we got it running, it shook like you wouldn't believe, and had a nasty knock. My mom's bf said he thought it had a collapsed lifter from the dry startup, even though it had been turned over by the starter quite a bit before it started running.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to pop the valve cover off, get that gasket changed(probably leaks anyway), and do an oil change with that off. That way, you can poor oil directly on top of the lifters.

Wow... Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to make the guy an offer on his Comanche today. I hope he takes it.

I will definitely pull the plugs and spray the cylinders with PB Blaster. That stuff really works!! I will let it set overnight to let it penetrate. The valve cover does need replacing. I will drain the oil prior to changing the valve cover. I will pour some oil down into the top of the engine before replacing the cover. I will wait between spraying the PB Blaster and doing the valve cover replacement.

I will then turn the engine over several times by hand. Using the starter to get things lubing is a good idea too.

Questions:

- Would it be OK to spray the top of the engine with degreaser, let it set and then hit it with a pressure washer?

- Would there be any harm in replacing the plugs while I have them out? Will the re-start foul up new plugs with carbon?

- I am guessing that a High Mileage oil might be best for the engine?

I will let you know if I buy the truck and then post some pics. Thank you!!

B4 gunking and HP washing make sure the valve covers' and spark plugs are back on, in. Replacing plugs won't hurt anything. Inspect them. If they're good then why replace? Just use regular oil, SG or SG/CD 10-30W.

I will then turn the engine over several times by hand. Using the starter to get things lubing is a good idea too.

When you do this, pull the relay for the fuel pump. You'll be spinning it over with no spark plugs, so it won't fire. So you DON'T want to be injecting a lot of gasoline into the cylinders to wash out the lubrication you are trying so hard to re-introduce to the engine.

Guys - I think I have found the Comanche for me!! It is not this one that has been setting for so many years. I will post a few pics in a different thread. I also need to ask about brakes. It seems that the only problem with this Comanche is that it has "too much" brakes.

Thanks again for the advice on this issue. I now know how to handle an engine that hasn't been cranked in years!!