Project Crusader: My red 1987 SporTruck

My dad bought this brand new in late 1986. He gave it to me a few years ago.

It's currently still in pretty good condition. ~140k miles, still the original engine.

Bumper is a little worn, but really just needs a good paint job.

Only one rust spot on the body.

The detailing on the left started to come off about 10 years ago when my dad was pressure washing it (OOPS!)

I'm missing the front left hubcap, but that's not a big deal because I'm going to be replacing the rims soon anyways with '97 Cherokee rims (I'll post a pic of the rims when I get the chance).

This is a 2WD, 4 cylinder, 4 speed manual. I drive it to work every day, and get between 20-23 MPG.

I'm going to be doing some work on it soon, so thought I would share a few pictures with everyone before I get started.

The truck sat in a garage for about 8-10 years, before my dad gave it to me. We had a fun time getting it out of the garage, as the emergency brake had frozen.

If I ever get around to cleaning inside, I'll post some pictures of the interior.

Sadly the paint is faded (even though the pictures don't show it).

I'm thinking about repainting the truck, and having it detailed to match the original detailing.

And don't worry, its staying red.

• 2 weeks later...

So I checked under the floor. No rust! jamminz.gif

And as promised, here are some interior pics....

I hook up the black cable coming from the tape deck to my android phone, so I can stream music while on the road (I LOVE PANDORA RADIO) and so I can use the stereo as a speakerphone.

Nice truck. Did it take a lot for your dad to give it to you? That's ok to get it repainted after 24 years, awesome. I get mine painted every 10 years because of the brutal Florida sun. I also like the matching shift knob!

Nice truck. Did it take a lot for your dad to give it to you? That's ok to get it repainted after 24 years, awesome. I get mine painted every 10 years because of the brutal Florida sun. I also like the matching shift knob!

Ever since they day my dad bought it when I was little, I told him I wanted it when I was older.

My wife's car stopped working completely, and we were a little tight on money, so my dad gave it to me, and my wife got my car.

Of course, I didn't realize at the time he had another reason for giving it to me...he wanted to buy a Wrangler :rotf:

Funny story about the shift knob. It wasn't replaced because of the looks. I was actually driving the truck to work one day when the shifter knob broke loose in my hand. I actually have the original somewhere in the truck still, because I just chucked it behind the seat and kept on going, never even stopped to blink.

Funny story about the shift knob. It wasn't replaced because of the looks. I was actually driving the truck to work one day when the shifter knob broke loose in my hand. I actually have the original somewhere in the truck still, because I just chucked it behind the seat and kept on going, never even stopped to blink.

They are known for that. The ceramic in the shifter gets brittle, and they break off from the threaded nut. Pain in the butt. I think the later TJ/XJ's have a better designed shifter knob if you want to bring it back home to stock.

Rob L.

I thought that the shift knob had fallen apart. I think I am on my 4th knob. The one I have now the knob came off but the ceramic didn't crumble, I was regluing my rearview mirror tab back on and had extra glue so I tried it on the knob and it has held like a champ. I do keep a spare wooden knob in the truck but hopefully won't need it.

It never ceases to amaze me how much more room there is under the hood of a 2.5L. Add 2 more cyls, and things become shoe-horn tight.

Rob L.

Oh I love how easy it is to work on my MJ. I've got large hands, so having extra room in the engine compartment is great.

• 3 weeks later...