Most durable paint - out of a spray can

I am gonna try and make this jeep a bit more presentable. I was thinking of just doing a plain dark gray and using caterpillar orange highlights for the lettering since I have my original badges. WHat paint should I go with? I can do a passing job from a can, usually. The door on my old Blazer(with the same freakin 2.8l POS as my 86 jeep!) used to be blue and the fender was red:

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I painted the flares on my XJ with Fusion...3 years ago. They still look great. Use the satin finish, not the gloss. Follow instructions (old plastic ~ wipe with ammonia, new plastic ~ wipe with mineral spirits.)

Can't be beat on plastic IMHO.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Has anyone ever used Automotive engine enamel? That stuff seems very durable to me, if a tad expensive. I know I'll be using Caterpillar Engine yellow enamel on my badges. I was considering using Ford Gray enamel.

I would get a cheap harbor freight paint gun and some cheap single stage equipment paint.

you can also spray rustoleum from a gun if you thin it a little.

If you are good with a can you will be better with a gun as you have far more control and the paint will lay alot better,it will also be much more durable.

I would get a cheap harbor freight paint gun and some cheap single stage equipment paint.

If you are good with a can you will be better with a gun as you have far more control and the paint will lay alot better,it will also be much more durable.

Something along the lines of this? What would be a good source of paint? I assume I will need to purchase the paint and a hardener?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677

44677.gif

I've used engine enamals on several projects and was quite pleased with the outcome.Although it wasn't done in laboratory controlled environment so no accurate test results, It did seem to be a little more durable. And to me, the color seemed a little richer. And for the paint gun, go with the HVLP set up. Not the old HP spray system. And darn it, USE A FACE MASK- RESPIRATOR. That stuff will screw up your lungs faster than 3 packs of smokes a day.

Something along the lines of this? What would be a good source of paint? I assume I will need to purchase the paint and a hardener?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677

44677.gif

I would get a compressor if you don't already have one,its a good tool to have.

for paint check out Napa they will set you up and the prices arent bad.

for a gun I would get something like this they are about $20 and spray pretty good,not bad to start with.

91009.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=47016

I will not be at my house for another 6-12 months. So I need something compact and portable. I have used air guns before, but only for detail work. But I do have a few years experience, so I should catch on quickly. What's the minimum flow I will need for typical car paint? What would you suggest I use?

I've used engine enamals on several projects and was quite pleased with the outcome.Although it wasn't done in laboratory controlled environment so no accurate test results, It did seem to be a little more durable. And to me, the color seemed a little richer. And for the paint gun, go with the HVLP set up. Not the old HP spray system. And darn it, USE A FACE MASK- RESPIRATOR. That stuff will screw up your lungs faster than 3 packs of smokes a day.

If I get it in a can from NAPA, will I need to thin it for an HVLP system? Will this hold enough air for covering a Comanche?: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65595

If I get it in a can from NAPA, will I need to thin it for an HVLP system? Will this hold enough air for covering a Comanche?: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65595

no,you would need a compressor. that tank would probably run a gun for maybe a minute,you need to hold about 25psi continuously at the gun.

the paint will need reduced but reducer is also cheap,years ago i sprayed a sand rail with rustoleum and reduced it with paint thinner,it took forever to dry but it came out nice and cost me about $20.

What spray did you use? I am wondering if the Enamels will take a set without being in a heat room. I am starting to lean towards Dupli-Color lacquer if I go spray can - they have a great fan-style nozzle and are still durable and there's no recoat window on lacquer.

Here is mine using a spray can. Still holding up like it was just done 3+ years later.

100_0644.jpg

Find an auto paint shop and pick up some PPG AUE-100 single stage paint. They can mix it for you in any color, and you add the hardener and shoot. It is relatively cheap, durable, and the glossy looks great. I painted a boat trailer with and it laid down smooth, and doesn't have a timeline on the recoat window. Cheap gun and aue-100 all the way jamminz.gif You can also paint it right over metal if I remember correct.

Find an auto paint shop and pick up some PPG AUE-100 single stage paint. They can mix it for you in any color, and you add the hardener and shoot. It is relatively cheap, durable, and the glossy looks great. I painted a boat trailer with and it laid down smooth, and doesn't have a timeline on the recoat window. Cheap gun and aue-100 all the way jamminz.gif You can also paint it right over metal if I remember correct.

I am trying to find someone that will rent me a paint booth for a day. If that's the case, then the paint and the compressor issues are taken care of.