MJ is Dead's 87: Operation Basecamp

Hey. the name's Travis. Most of you know me as MJ is dead, which is of course a reference to the late, kid touching, king of pop. My MJ is NOT dead. Nearing 100 posts, I figured it was time to throw up a build thread, since spring has finally come, and I've actually started to tinker.

so here she is: the 87 4.0 aw4 30/35 LWB MJ of doom

On the day I bought it. I know someone has a "grandpa MJ" they love, but I think mine takes the cake in the grandpa factor

Yes, the front bumper is a 2x10 wrapped in carpet. The PO used it as a pushcar for his drags

After I ripped the topper off

Decided to make the topper into a Canvas topper. I have aleays loved the look of canvas toppers, and I have major functionality purposes planned for this one. On a nice day, decided to gut it

Image Not Found

The plan is to use the structure of the original aluminum topper as a foundation for my canvas one, which I plan to integrate a roof basket and light bar into as well.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

All painted up, and ready to go

Image Not Found

Thats all for now, paycheck ran out before I could buy canvas, new hydraulic struts, aluminum squarestock, aluminum strap, and about 20 feet of velcro.

Stay tuned!

I plan to have the sides roll up like a tonneau cover, and have some sort of set up to make them into an awning when tailgating or fishing or...whatever. I also plan to integrate a roof basket and supports for hilift, shovel and fuel packs.

Also, I plan to take my bench seat and relocate it into the bed, along with seat belts etc, for people hauling goodness

That's one cool idea! I like the idea except I am always scared of people wanting something more than I do without paying for it. :wall:

If only everyone was nice we could all have nice things!!!

Yeah...I've got an idea on how to lock it somewhat, I can lock it in back, but am having trouble figuring out how to lock it up front. Its canvas, so anyone with a boxcutter could have their way with my stuff, but its a little more secure

Took a slight break from the Cargo Top today (I like the name you gave it enough to decide that is its new name:D)

Decided to do some interior work. I have the little mini console around my t casehandle, and the brushes are shot

Image Not Found

I needed to replace them and had scratched my head for weeks, when i remembered how i had used an old mousepad to fix the cupholder thingies in my old tacoma, so to the dollar store i went.

Image Not Found

I ripped the brushes out, and it turns out you can fit something in their place no problem, cut out a template, and cut slits in the rubber all the way down

Figured as long as the console was out, id respray the god-awful blue with some nice silver

Used a little extra mousepad and some 3m tape to make a nice little catch all

Also decided to repaint the faded red stripe on the handle, just mixed up a little more silver, and applied it with a touchup brush

Finished project!

On the day I bought it. I know someone has a "grandpa MJ" they love, but I think mine takes the cake in the grandpa factor

Yes, the front bumper is a 2x10 wrapped in carpet. The PO used it as a pushcar for his drags

You win Travis. :bowdown:

There really is no known way to 'out Grandpa Jeep' a longbed MJ with a blue, bench seat, column shift interior, aluminum bed topper, and a wooden front bumper covered in carpet for crying out loud. :clapping:

Might I suggest adding a Kraco radio from 1985, a K-mart center console (or better yet, a home made plywood one), and a plaid bench seat cover?

Might as well go for the grandpa gold. :yes:

BTW, awesome idea using the topper frame for a canvas cover. :thumbsup:

That's one of those perfect idea's that everyone else (me included) somehow missed. :doh:

Funny you should mention that jim, it had a plaid cover on it when I bought it. And it has a pioneer tape deck from the 80's....and some old dinosaur paper coned pioneer door speakers, which they removed the factory grills and bolted over the door panel :wall:

Funny you should mention that jim, it had a plaid cover on it when I bought it. And it has a pioneer tape deck from the 80's....and some old dinosaur paper coned pioneer door speakers, which they removed the factory grills and bolted over the door panel :wall:

Ha :clapping:

Did the seat cover have that magazine pocket in the front?

Might as well have had a bathrobe & slippers tucked behind the seat. :yes:

There's no way this MJ didn't have an aftermarket center console.

Someone must've grabbed it before you got it. :doh:

Other than the column shift & bench seat, I've un-Grandpa'd most of the Grandpa stuff on mine (tho the rear mudflaps are still there),

so it's becoming more of the clean cut metrosexual type 'Grand Dad' now.

(maybe I should swap the skinny mismatched tires/wheels back on, and pull the radio fuse out before it's too late).

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry no updates lately. Its mountain biking season here, and most of my spare change has gone into my 5 bikes. Including the new Trek :D as well as a bike I'm in the process of building into a "Jeep Bike"

However i did score some goodies in our city-wide cleanup last weekend.

Image Not Found

not sure what they're out of, but with a little fabrication, my MJ can become a little less grandpa-ish

Also scored a set of nerfbars destined to replace my 2x4 bumper, and a potential basket for the cargo top. My weekends are officially gone. OH and I got a set of the illegal lawn darts!!! :clapping:

Bikes are way easy to fix, so many people toss them out cuz they think they're broke. There really isn't much that can go wrong with a bike, and most things can be fixed for under 40 bucks. But people tossing out bikes is a good thing for me. I have 5 now. And the jeep bike is almost done. :D

Couple of quick, retarded mods.

I don't smoke, so i put a little Electric sticker over the Cigarette symbol :brows:

Image Not Found

And while checking some stuff out for future seat clearance, I FOUND MY SLIDING REAR WINDOW CLIP!!!!! :banana:

Image Not Found

Put a dab of windshield urethane on her and popped her in place :cheers:

Seats and bumper this weekend, and I'll try to get back to the cargo topper if everything goes smoothly

Its a jeep, it never does