JCR rear bumper hitch, BIG problem!! UPDATE WITH ANSWERS

I've been researching about rear hitch bumpers for the Mj for a few weeks now. I came across this forum and was reading some of the comments. My take on this is they CAN NOT rate this do it yourself weld bumper. They can't send a bumper out that some random person welds together and have it rated for towing. They can't tell if the person thats going to weld it is going to do a factory weld job or some teen who never welded before chicken scratch weld it. Personally can't blame them for not rating it. Could they of went about it in a better way to let buyers understand its not rated for towing yes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, BearCat459 said:

I've been researching about rear hitch bumpers for the Mj for a few weeks now. I came across this forum and was reading some of the comments. My take on this is they CAN NOT rate this do it yourself weld bumper. They can't send a bumper out that some random person welds together and have it rated for towing. They can't tell if the person thats going to weld it is going to do a factory weld job or some teen who never welded before chicken scratch weld it. Personally can't blame them for not rating it. Could they of went about it in a better way to let buyers understand its not rated for towing yes.

Dude you're like 13 years too late. 

So it’s been 13 years, and the product is back up as available. 
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/DIY-MJ-R.html

Anyone know if the issues with the receiver tubing have been addressed? It’s a diy kit, so you could probably grab the correct receiver tubing and substitute if you needed.

Considering this thread’s been dragged back up to daylight it would be better not to drag anyone’s name through the mud if they’ve corrected the concern a long time ago. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, gogmorgo said:

So it’s been 13 years, and the product is back up as available. 
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/DIY-MJ-R.html

Anyone know if the issues with the receiver tubing have been addressed? It’s a diy kit, so you could probably grab the correct receiver tubing and substitute if you needed.

Considering this thread’s been dragged back up to daylight it would be better not to drag anyone’s name through the mud if they’ve corrected the concern a long time ago. 

Substitute? Looking at the images, I don't see any receiver tube at all, just a knockout for where the tube would go if you choose to install it.

They offer a shop-welded rear bumper for the XJ -- for almost $900. It includes a 2" receiver, they have a disclaimer that towing is at the user's own risk -- and they don't provide any specs on the tubing used for the receiver.

As for us MJ people -- they want us to pay $340 for a do-it-yourself kit in which the pieces aren't even bent to shape. The instructions call for clamping the pieces to a table and then bending then to specified angles -- after which we get to do our own welding.

Thanks, but no thanks.

5 hours ago, Eagle said:

Substitute? Looking at the images, I don't see any receiver tube at all, just a knockout for where the tube would go if you choose to install it.

They offer a shop-welded rear bumper for the XJ -- for almost $900. It includes a 2" receiver, they have a disclaimer that towing is at the user's own risk -- and they don't provide any specs on the tubing used for the receiver.

As for us MJ people -- they want us to pay $340 for a do-it-yourself kit in which the pieces aren't even bent to shape. The instructions call for clamping the pieces to a table and then bending then to specified angles -- after which we get to do our own welding.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I built a JCR DIY bumper several years ago and it was pretty straight forward.   They are cut so that the sections you bend are only about 3/8" or so wide so with a bit of grunt it's not that bad.   The main reason they sell them this way is to reduce the shipping costs.   Mine came in a flat box vs. one that would have filled half of the bed of my MJ.   They do give you a sense of accomplishment if you weld them yourself so there's that factor too.

I won't buy anything from JCR ever again though.  A year or so ago I placed an order for 2 small items.   One arrived and the second one came on the following day.   I paid shipping and duty (to Canada) for both items separately.   Double the cost for 2 things that could have put in one small box!   I called to ask why and they couldn't have cared less.   

As to the receiver tubing -- it's not rocket science. Steel tubing is specified by the outside diameter and wall thickness, so the hitch part is 2" x 2".

Here's the first vendor of steel tubing I found on-line. They sell 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x .238" wall tubing that has an inside dimension of 2.024". You can't get much better than that. They also sell 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/16" wall. That would leave the inside dimension 2.125 (2-1/8").

Below the 3/16" wall the wall thickness is in gauge rather than fractions of an inch.

https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-square-tube

The issue with going with square tubing is that the weld seam doesn't typically allow you to slide in a hitch. You can address that easily enough by filing it down… or you can just go down to your local hardware store, farm supply, wherever, and pick up an actual piece of receiver tube for $30 that has proper internal dimensions without a weld seam to grind down, that already has a hole drilled for a hitch pin and reinforcing piece on the end, etc.

Going to 3/16” wall tubing like the OP was complaining about 13 years ago would make an 1/8” clearance that might make up for a weld seam inside the tubing. Seems like a logical money saving technique if it’s only intended as a recovery point and not for actual towing so it doesn’t matter if it’s a bit sloppy.

But all of this is aside from the point. 

The assembled pictures show a receiver, and the first product question and answer confirms there is a receiver tube included in the diy kit. Which means you’re paying for it. Would be nice to know from someone who got the kit sometime more recently than 13 years ago if the receiver tubing you’re paying for is worth paying for before you paid for it.

The first tube from the source I provided a link to, the 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x .238" wall tubing that has an inside dimension of 2.024", is listed as "telescoping" tubing and they say it has a smooth interior (probably DOM). I think that's the stuff for receivers.

Or, as gogmorgo said, just buy the right thing per-made. Harbor Fright has it, in 12" and 18" lengths.

https://www.harborfreight.com/class-iii-12-in-x-2-in-standard-receiver-tube-69879.html?_br_psugg_q=hitch+receiver+tube

https://www.harborfreight.com/class-iii-18-in-x-2-in-standard-receiver-tube-69815.html?_br_psugg_q=hitch+receiver+tube