Trucks (on TNT) this weekend

mjeff87

The grade 5 thing is what it was.

I believe they slipped a grade 5 bolt in, but it was a grade 8 on the other side, then the bolt snapped, the coilover tweaked, ripped off, axle busted a link, and so on...

Why do my posts keep going to the top of the page?

Anyone happen to catch the latest episode (w_howey? :D ) I stopped watching it a long time ago, but I watched about 5 minutes of it on Saturday.......

they spent this entire season building up a Ranger, baja-style. Lotsa expensive bolt-on stuff, lotsa cheap arc-welding, and so on. Took it on it's maiden break-in run and literally destroyed it. I laughed my @$$ off...

Just proves that big money doesn't always build you something good. Score one for us poor folk!

Jeff

is that extreme 4x4? The one with the dude and the chick?

I saw the ranger on that. The bracketry on the axle wasn't near strong enough for the kinda running they wanted to do.

Tore the bracket off a coilover I think, then the front end disentegrated when the axle flopped under.

I didn't see that particular episode, but I remember one on extreme 4x4 where they mentioned that somehow a grade 5 bolt got into the suspension on one of the rigs and it broke, causing a chain reaction of destruction. :thwak:

If your putting bolts in that need shearing strength, then use a grade 8, but if your needing something with holding power a 5 is a better choice because it will stretch and not break like an 8.

Almost everything on an engine is a 5 (except something with thin aluminum), but everything on a good suspension is an 8

The way to tell the difference is that a 5 will have three (3) hash marks on the top and an 8 will have six (6) marks...just in case anyone wanted to know :brows:

fasteners_grade5.jpg

fasteners_grade8.jpg

Oh and I share the desire for JC to come to my house, but the missus may object ;)

Wayne S

Anyone happen to catch the latest episode (w_howey? :D ) I stopped watching it a long time ago, but I watched about 5 minutes of it on Saturday.......

Jeff

Are you saying I have a TV problem????

Well, no for a change I was actually wrenching on Sat, and I was driving in the parade on Sunday.

BTW, those shows are on during dinner time. My wife and I sit in the TV room during dinner and watch while we eat. Saturday is Off-road shows, Sunday is football.