Where to buy bulk sodium bicarbonate a.k.a baking soda

pilotblake

Where is a good place to buy bulk sodium bicarbonate? Does anyone know if there are any chain stores that would carry this in 50 lb bags or bigger. I am looking to strip a bed down and don't really want to use sand or traditional media.

check tractor supply or co-op. if anyone was going to have it would be them. lime is similar to baking soda in consistancy... are you trying to run it through a sand blaster? because i didnt know baking soda would strip paint...

Yeah it works good. You can run it through a regular sand blaster pot, or buy the equipment they sell for it. You can take the paint off an aluminum can without distorting the can. I was going to use it as an eco friendly way to strip airplane paint, but it wasn't passed yet in the regs. The baking soda explodes when it hits the metal removing the paint, unlike sand and other media.

A friend of mine had the body of his 1949 Hudson street rod stripped by blasting with baking soda. Worked great. It doesn't hurt the metal at all, and it takes off everything you don't want to put paint over. You don't even have to mask the glass -- it's so fine that it actually polishes out old sand pitting in the windshield. The glass will look better after blasting than before.

I was under the impression that the baking soda you use in soda blasters is a bit more coarse than the Arm & Hammer stuff you get at the grocery store?

Let us know what you find. I have a portable sand blaster that I haven't used in years because the sand created such a mess and didn't really wash away with the rain. I feel like baking soda would wash right away after the first rainfall. I wonder how my EPA-employed neighbor would feel about this...

It is eco-friendly. And yes you don't have the huge sand mess. I started just sand blasting out in the driveway(gravel) with cheap fine sand you can get at the hardware store. But with aluminum and softer metals a guy had given me a big bag of the sodium bicarbonate that he had left over, but he is no longer around and I never asked where he had gotten it.