transfercase slipping ??

so the last time up in the mountains I'm hearing like a bang and it feels like i imagine what a chain slipping on a sprocket would feel like. - i can only imagine this to be transfer case issues. today, up a different mountain, the same thing but a bit more often and not consistent with any particular speed or amount of throttle (but definitely only on the steeper parts going up hill). so i think its the transfercase slipping (231) but am open to opinions. (this is in an '89 mj)

so my question is, i have a '95 parts cherokee that also has that transfercase. I'm no real mechanic. - much hassel to change-out? anything i should be on the lookout for? ive never done that before but think if its not too big a bite i wouldnt mind trying it. both the truck and donor xj are 5spds btw.

thanks.

what engine is the donor xj? if its a 4 cyl forget it, but if its a 6 you would be best to swap both the trans and t case. and iirc the t case off that xj is a different spline input than the pukegoat trans. 23 and 21 or something like that.

edit: if this is even your problem.

It all depends what trans youve got in the MJ, if its an AX-15 youre golden, just swap t cases, itll be pretty simple/easy, if you don't then its a good time to swap in an AX

tomorrow i will probably be on here asking how i can tell what i have in the mj for a tranny, and the xj, for that matter.

both are 4.0 btw. '89mj, '95xj. both 5spds.

look in the DIY section for the thread about the difference between the ba10/5 and the ax15.

if you have a ba10/5, you need a t-case with 21 splines, with the proper length input. if you have an ax15, you need a 23 spline t-case with proper length input.

if your MJ is a 90 or earlier it should have the 21 spline NP231 , if it is 91-92 it should have the 23 spline . the input shaft can be changed on them if you needed to , it involves tearing the transfer case down but it can be done, I had to do it on my 89 xj which I swapped a 93 zj transfer case into

BEFORE, you go to all that trouble.... Check your linkage for proper adjustment.

The chain certainly could be bad, but for it to "jump" teeth you would hear quite a racket from it on a daily basis.

1989-90 is a tough time to pin down what you have for a spline count. the advice given is of coarse good. Just remember its a Jeep and the whores at amc put in what they had available. So as soon as someone makes a stead fast list of "will haves" someone else shows up with a seemingly stock vehicle that breaks the mold. What you have is what it is, unfortunately, you just look to be certain.

CW

BEFORE, you go to all that trouble.... Check your linkage for proper adjustment.

The chain certainly could be bad, but for it to "jump" teeth you would hear quite a racket from it on a daily basis.

CW

:agree:

From what you wrote with the "minor" banging, it could be as simple as the linkage not set correct, and jumping out of gear.

*CW - I agree with the rest of your statement, just wanted to highlight the linkage section* :D

if your MJ is a 90 or earlier it should have the 21 spline NP231 , if it is 91-92 it should have the 23 spline . the input shaft can be changed on them if you needed to , it involves tearing the transfer case down but it can be done, I had to do it on my 89 xj which I swapped a 93 zj transfer case into

incorrect. please read before you post.

thank you gentlemen , and thank you pat for posting that, -as soon as this rain stops i will go out and find out exactly what i have in both trucks.

cw and wildman -i will definitely look into that linkage issue , that would be a great thing if my issue turns out to be a simple fix like that. although i didnt think it would be possible for the tc to just be not-quite-in like that. (like when a tranny slips out of gear, -it has to be manually put back in).

which part ??

which part ??

The AX-15 was introduced midway in 89, and needed a 23 spline transfercase.