Anyone have expertise in push button starter installs?

ok so i want to install a push button ignition into my manche and a kill switch. what i consider a kill switch is a on/off toggle that is hidden and the car will only be able to start when the the toggle is set to on.

I just bought all the supplies. my friend has a soldering iron and a multi meter so when i start the project i'll just borrow that from him.

also i have the wiring diagram but i'm unsure if its what i need or not.

anyone with insite into this topic would you please help me out? :dunno:

p.s i'll get a pic of my supplies and that diagram from my chilton manual.

thanks everyone!

yes it very easy run 1 wire to your batt then to the switch. then run the other wire form the switch to the starter terminal that makes the Solenoid turn over simple as that

that easy? so i don't even need to hack into the wires in my dash? and with that setup could i still use my keys?

yes it very easy run 1 wire to your batt then to the switch. then run the other wire form the switch to the starter terminal that makes the Solenoid turn over simple as that

that easy? so i don't even need to hack into the wires in my dash? and with that setup could i still use my keys?

Why?

Especially that your wanting to still use your key.

actually its fearly easy

take this diagram that is for fog light but just replace the fogs with your electrical system

Image Not Found

Yup, not much harder. and then you won't have a gazillion amps running through the cab.

Essentially you just need to run the big power wire from the battery to the starter, with the relay in the middle. Then the momentary switch in the cab energizes the relay. A factory relay works just fine for this. Don't forget the fuse!

And then you won't need such a huge starter button. A momentary toggle switch will suffice. :thumbsup:

haha one of the guys in my class did that..he did it because of necessity but man it was a backyard mechanic job if i ever saw one craziest thing i ever saw.. scared the hell out of me when i had to ride in his van one day, pretty swift thinking though was a good idea to save 100's on troubleshhooting and replacement parts

hes the same guy that suggested me to use hockey pucks for a lift.. it works ... but I'm not going to put my life on it

the push button starter in my truck was run from an empty switched lead on the fuse panel, through a momentary button and then to the starter. I have hooked up the original wire so that I can start it with the key again because that is the wrong way to hook it up.

If I decide to put a push start in again I will simply use a relay under the dash triggered by the button and I will tap into the existing ignition harness. all you will need is the constant 12 volt wire (or Ignition if you want it keyed) and the starter wire. this way the wiring is all within a few inches of everything you need and there is no need to run wires into the engine bay. All the switch would do is mimic the turning of the key (except for drooping voltage to the accessory wire.)

actually its fearly easy

take this diagram that is for fog light but just replace the fogs with your electrical system

Image Not Found

Yup, not much harder. and then you won't have a gazillion amps running through the cab.

Essentially you just need to run the big power wire from the battery to the starter, with the relay in the middle. Then the momentary switch in the cab energizes the relay. A factory relay works just fine for this. Don't forget the fuse!

And then you won't need such a huge starter button. A momentary toggle switch will suffice. :thumbsup:

okay so after being told about the relay and smaller button and such. i went to radioshack and got a 30 amp relay with 4 prongs. and i got a 10A pushbutton switch. with that i have a toggle switch and 14 gauge wire and terminals. am i missing anything? i got the wrong button tho cuz i thought it was momentary but its not :( so now i have to go back. but besides that. am i missing anything?

Is your factory starter relay and wiring intact? What was the reason for wanting the new stuff?

everything was peachy but i just wanted to do this cuz i thought it was cool. i wanna do it right the first time though. I don't want any jank wiring in my truck. only the best! :yes:

Why not just use the factory wiring? the starter already has a relay and fuse. you just need to run your cab switch to it (pulling power from an existing fuse in the box).

hmmmmmmmmmmm this is true. :razz: so youre saying to just run the starter wire right to the button?