bed cutting opinion/advice

after hitting my lower rear quarters on everything and having them all smashed up, i feel its time to cut the bed up a little.

here is a MS Paint plan. i would have a 2x5 slider under the bed tied into the rear bumper and mounted to the frame. the cut would be below the "flared" body line for ease of bumper attachment but i don't know how that would look. my old man thinks i should cut lower but that wouldnt really gain any clearance.

Your old man is right. You're really not gaining any clearance by cutting higher than the bottom of the bumper. You need a slider so that any contact is simply shrugged off. Plus too much trimming just looks funny imho. :dunno:

admittedly my rear bumper sits up higher than stock so take that into account.

I trimmed mine with the intention of 2 more inches of 2x4 underneath of it.

I gained a little clearance with mine, but that's not why I cut them, and built the bumper the way I did. I had already dented them pretty bad, had little left to work with, so out came the cut off wheel!

I don't have to worry about them now! :)

I will add that I probably wouldn't have the heart to cut them if the bed was in great shape, but mine was not.

may not gain clearance, but gains room to build sliders in the back to keep stuff off of the rest of that area of the bed.

exactly. my bumper is the lowest point now and i still hit the quarters.

thanks for the advice everyone.

yes, and when you cut the quarters where I cut mine, and box that area in with stronger steel, it will ramp right off of the heavier steel and you won't have the issues of fubaring the bed quarters.

IIRC that is where goblazers cut his, and mounted sliders there too. look up one of his pics of the truck he USED to own. :fool: (that's for you darren)

Yeah, I cut mine just below the body line there, then folded it level with the body line. It shows how I did it step by step in my build thread.

IIRC that is where goblazers cut his, and mounted sliders there too. look up one of his pics of the truck he USED to own. :fool: (that's for you darren)

Yeah, I cut mine just below the body line there, then folded it level with the body line. It shows how I did it step by step in my build thread.

from the times you wheeled it, did you ever hit the bed slider or get hung up on the lower portion of the bumper?