My new Comanche, I'm in the club now...

airspeed

I found my Comanche, it took 18 months of scanning Craigslist but patience will prevail. The under carriage is as clean and white as the day it left the show room floor. All the hardware and bolts are bright and shinny, the leaf springs are not even rusted! I don’t think this truck has ever been on a dirt road. The odometer shows 260k? It is hard to believe the condition of the vehicle with the miles shown, it’s mine now. The kids were selling it for their parents and said it was towed behind a motor home to 22 years?

This truck will stay pretty much original. The 2.5 needs to go, not enough power at this altitude. I think I will look for a 95-96 Cherokee 4.0 and move the drive train over.

It has a 4 speed, I think that is called the AX4? It has 4.11 gears with the NP231 transfer case. It probably works OK at sea level but in Colorado there is not enough power. I will look for a doner Cherokee and move the drive train over.

You keep mentioning no power... Have you driven one at a low altitude? They don't have much power as it is. I know there is a "High Altitude" CPS available for the 4.0L's... Maybe before swapping the whole thing, you might want to research that.

Clean truck though! Nice find. :cheers:

Brent, this isn't the first MJ that was towed behind the RV. I think since getting into them there has been about 5 I can remember, all 2.5L's, most base, some 4x4.

Rob L.

It has a 4 speed, I think that is called the AX4? It has 4.11 gears with the NP231 transfer case. It probably works OK at sea level but in Colorado there is not enough power. I will look for a doner Cherokee and move the drive train over.

have you double checked that ratio? the 4speed trans generally came with 3.55 gears.