New guy couple of questions

Hey I just picked up my first comanche :D and was looking for some advice. First off it's a '89 comanche 4.0 BA10 (or ax-15, I am unsure), and a np231. It has a 5'' lift composed of a leaf over axle in the back and a big a$$ coil spacer up front. It has 33's.

My questions include:

If I do have a BA10 how hard is the swap to an AX15?

This jeep currently has 3.07's, I was wondering what a suitable gear ratio would be for 4x4ing, (cruising trails, mud, snow) I was thinking 3.55's as I have a set.

It does have the dana 44. When they did the lift the P.O. didn't relocate the bottom shock mounts, any advice there?

The last thing is I need to eliminate my C.A.D., any advice?

I have been around cherokees for the last couple years of my life so I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing.

Cheers :cheers:

Justin

Hiya, welcome to the madness! :thumbsup:

You'll probably want to go with the 4.10 gears with 33's. There are quite a few posts about the BA10/5 to AX15 swap. And I am sure Pete will post his pic about the perch mounts, or you can pull it up in the DIY information post. There is also a DIY for the CAD.

What we desperately need though is pics of your rig!

First off welcome . :thumbsup:

If your MJ is manual its the AX-15 if its a auto its the BA-10 .

Pics?

I'm pretty sure the auto is the aw4 is it not?

Hiya, welcome to the madness! :thumbsup:

You'll probably want to go with the 4.10 gears with 33's. There are quite a few posts about the BA10/5 to AX15 swap. And I am sure Pete will post his pic about the perch mounts, or you can pull it up in the DIY information post. There is also a DIY for the CAD.

What we desperately need though is pics of your rig!

Of course!

kali0y.jpg

2con34o.jpg

Pics?

The BA-10 is a manual tranny that was in the MJ from 87-mid 89.

It's easy to tell the difference/the BA-10 splits in half with bolts running horizontal to hold it together, also if you pull your shifter boot off the BA has 3 bolts holding the shifter in while the AX-15 has four.

But the most important thing here is:

:needpics:

Welcome to the madness!!

Pics?

False.

Unless someone swapped in an AX-15, you have the BA-10/5 Peugeot in your truck. Everyone will tell you it sucks and for the most part, they're right.

Like you said, if it's an auto, it will be the AW4, unless it's an '86, then it got something different.

False.

Unless someone swapped in an AX-15, you have the BA-10/5 Peugeot in your truck.

False.

89 was a transition year. The transmission was changed in the middle of the model year. Early 89s had a BA 10/5, Later ones had an AX-15. 89 could come with either from the factory.

False.

Unless someone swapped in an AX-15, you have the BA-10/5 Peugeot in your truck.

False.

89 was a transition year. The transmission was changed in the middle of the model year. Early 89s had a BA 10/5, Later ones had an AX-15. 89 could come with either from the factory.

Good catch. I always think it was mid-1990 that was changed.

But now that you mention it, there's an '89 MJ with a 5-speed for sale by me that I've been shying away from because 1) Too much money and 2) I assumed it had the BA-10/5. I may have to take another look at it.

99% of MJs came with Command Trac (NP-231 or NP-207 t-case) and that is the determining factor in getting a CAD front axle in an MJ. The handful of 86 MJs that got the Selec-trac t-case would have come with a non-CAD front axle.

good catch for a newbie :brows:

So what I understand then is that any jeep with an AX15 doesn't have a CAD?

The CAD began to get phased out with the HO system in 91. Pretty good bet that 86-90 MJs will have a CAD unless as previously stated they have the Selec-trac 4wd system.

91 and 92 shouldn't, but they might. My Dad's 91 XJ was still running a CAD. Also, CAD controls have absolutely nothing to do with transmission. The CAD is controlled with a vacuum switch on the T-case.

An experienced Jeep mechanic should have no trouble taking his time and having a tranny swap done in a weekend. I've done it a few times.

If you've never done it, find some helpers and give yourself a few extra days, and make sure you've got something else you can drive. If you have to rush, that's when bad things happen. Like when I busted off my CPS when installing a motor because I was in a hurry.

:cheers: welcome to the Comanche madness. If you can get it on a lift it is a half day job with power tools. jamminz.gif

but with jack stand and hand tools it is one or more days of work. and of course with any job there is the run to the parts store at least one or more times. :doh:

Yea I've took a few tranny's out. I have no lift but I do have air tools, prefer hand tools so as you can feel if a bolts gonna break :wall: . Wouldn't say I'm an experienced jeep mechanic, but far from a newbie