Another project idea Question On coilovers

Ok I have another project i am starting to think about adding to my way to long list. Has anyone ever concider or done a Coilover suspension set up on the rear of your MJ. I was wanting to get real good flex and eliminate the chance of axle wrap (which i havent had yet with my SOA) ;) but anyways My idea is as follows:

Remove a peice of the bed floor right near the wheel well and attaching a hoop with a support truss to the frame there. Reason fo it being inside is so the coilover will not get in the way of the tire since mine already rubs the frame there.

Then makeing a long arm setup and calling it good.

So what doo you think good idea or not???theres more to it but i didnt want to get super technical about it yet since i havent commited to adding it to the list of "Want To Happens". Just thought id get some imput from you guys so post away.

Cole

i was looking into this at one time but found out it would not work too well if you ever needed to use your truck as a truck. can't remember the real reason why i decided not to do this idea though. and i don't have the pages anymore about this but i might be able to dig em back up.

Alex

I'm not sure I would do coil overs, but I would certainly look into a rear 4 link with regular coils. THe hump over the axles should allow enough space to shoehor some coils in there, and putting links on the frame shoudn't be terribly hard.

Gas tank would probably be in the way though.

I found a good deal on some and just was passing over plans for down the road. Alsoo If i do this 4 link how i want it should be OK key word there is should be ok to clear the gas tank. It connects to 2 spots on the axle per side but then the bars combine about halfway back into 1 for each side to mount. See this on many CJs and one i helped build. They claim they work unbelievably well and are pretty simple. Even concidered the same setup in the front.

And i have thaought about the just plain ole coil springs but i hear lots of good things about the coilovers not really to many bad.

Thanks for all the info and GirsMJ 86 if you can find out what was your determining factor on saying no go that would be great cause i want to wiegh out the options.

Cole

Depends what you want to do with it.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the 4-link part of this than anything else. I've thought about it, but decided if I was to do it:

A) Fuel tank would be moved/ditched

B) 6" of wheelbase would be added

C) Everything behind the tires would get chopped

Which would give me a whole new playing field.

I built a 3 link on mine leaving the gas tank in the factory location. I also managed to take 6 inches out of the wheelbase leaving just a tiny bit of room between the axle and tank on compression. I chopped a lot of frame to get the coils where I wanted them. For coilovers, you will probably need a sway-bar if you run them inside the frame.

p1010111vv2.jpg

I built a 3 link on mine leaving the gas tank in the factory location. I also managed to take 6 inches out of the wheelbase leaving just a tiny bit of room between the axle and tank on compression. I chopped a lot of frame to get the coils where I wanted them. For coilovers, you will probably need a sway-bar if you run them inside the frame.

Well see thats why i ask questions like this for some reason i did not think of a sway bar or trac bar. I really like the 3 link idea though. I probably Could even base the design off of a TJ if i wanted to. Thanks Brett and one day i will own a beast like yours maybe just one day :drool: :thumbsup:

Cole

ok, question. how would the swap work for one that is on the road and sees trails every now and then. i think that is the reason i decided not to do it. not sure, its been awhile since i was even thinking of doing this. this was a plan back before i knew of the club.

Alex

ok i am betting that is the reson i did not do the swap then. my MJs have always been more of a streetrat then trail rig since there are not too many places other then my fields around me to run. also i use my truck as a truck and haul lots of stuff and really did not want to mess with the factory setup and risk something going wrong.

so Cole i would say if you want a good trail rig then go for it. i can't find any of the pages i use to have on my laptop so i can't help ya out on your choice.

Alex

Thanks for trying. Since its kinda a mixed decision for me i might oput this on the backburner for now Since i have a tone of projects in the works right now and 2 not on my jeep. Maybe ill get more into the tech of it later thanks for the input guys its been great.

Cole

mine does great on the street, there's absolutely no reason a good link/coil suspension would not perform well, think of a TJ. with my coils and shocks both mounted as wide as possible and a very high roll-center it doesn't need a swaybar at all either.

one thing to consider is that coils are generally not as good for varying loads like if you often change from having a couple hundred pounds in the bed to nothing. in that instance something more adjustable like airbags would be ideal.

however, it is quite an undertaking, and unless you have serious complaints with the leafs I would highly recommend to stick with them. for me, I had hacked my MJ up so much that the back end was so light that I could not build a custom leaf pack that would flex well and still be stiff enough to resist axle wrap. building a traction bar would have been the easier solution, but I saw other benefits like dropping some more weight and wheelbase.

its a great idea, cause the rear would just flex along wherever you pointed the front.

Mine already does that. But that's probably because my Ford front suspension doesn't flex much at all.:roll: In SOA form, MJ leafs can do a great job of keeping up with all but the best front set-ups. In my opionion the 3 best reasons for go coils in the rear is

1: What Brett just said

2: Hacking off the rear end to gain ground clearance

3: Boredom and the fact that designing suspensions is fun. :D

If you can link it, then you can do it, but unless you want your CoG on the moon, you'll probably want a bed cage.

Also, if the gas tank's in the way, move it. If you can put it further back, it'll help your weight distribution.

Bedcages take up a lot of space, for even the most modest design. This one does need more triangulation and those are just long travel shocks with remote resevoirs, no coilovers.

10000826jg.jpg

freerock that the design i had in mind. I am not to worried about bed space as long as i have room to haul my trail junk around but don't know if i have convienced myself to do it i am not unhappy with the leaves i just thought id get some more flex. But i am still thinking about it :hmm:

Cole

As far as sway bars go, if it's not stable, put one on. Adding a sway bar is pretty easy.

As for a trac bar, it would depend on how you set up your links. If you did a triangulated 4 link, where the upper and lower links have the same angle, but in opposite directions, you shouldn't need one.

Sweet it keeps sounding better and better for a go. But alot on the table before that happens. Got a motor to do something with first i just had alot of questions about it before i started the planning. :brows:

Cole

What is it your trying to achieve with more flex in the rear?

Softer rate springs out back can flex REALLY well. There is also revolver shackles and long travel shocks. Both of which are loads cheaper and easier than designing a entire rear suspension.

Just my 2 cents.

CW

Well the revolver were another idea in the past that i was talked out of. It was one of the first ideas i acctually had after the lift was done. But people say they suck on steep inclines and under hard braking on the road. Yeah i am looking for better Flex cause i think there is alot more potential out of my MJ that i can't get due to it not flexing as well as i hoped in the rear. This is the only reasong i concidered doing anything with my rear setup. If you recall awhile back i was looking at doing a 1/4 eliptical setup but after alot of horror stories i backed out of it so this is the next option i thought of. :dunno: Maybe i am just wanting to much from the MJ but i love lots of flex. :brows:

Cole

How much flex are you getting now? What precisely are you running for leafs? Are you being limited by shocks? If I can just get my longer shocks installed, my leafs will be going up until the tires touch the stick flares, and down until they max out the shackle. A longer shackle might give me a bit more droop.

If nothing else, it's hard to beat the leafs for reliability. :D