cutting xj back end off!

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you have to ask, then theres no way you should try this mod yourself. You have to have a knowledge of body work and body structure to do something like this and keep it safe. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you want it done right and want it nice and you don't have the experience, don't try this yourself. Youll just end up with a cherokee thats chopped up thats unfinished that you won't be able to resell for what you have in it.

just wanted ideas on the fabbing I'm actually pretty decent fabber myself and do plenty of body and welding welding welding so no problem there just curiouse about the most popular way and any shortcuts other than that well i can manage thanks thow!

There are no shortcuts.

Remember, the XJ is a unibody chassis. The roof and the window pillars are part of the structure. When you remove half of that, you weaken the structure considerably. In addition the needing to find a way to make a working tailgate AND a closure for behind the driver, you also need to consider how (and how much) you're going to reinforce the "frame" so your new toy doesn't fold in half when you're driving to the local Quik Stop some evening.

There are no shortcuts.

Remember, the XJ is a unibody chassis. The roof and the window pillars are part of the structure. When you remove half of that, you weaken the structure considerably. In addition the needing to find a way to make a working tailgate AND a closure for behind the driver, you also need to consider how (and how much) you're going to reinforce the "frame" so your new toy doesn't fold in half when you're driving to the local Quik Stop some evening.

true. you would almost definatley have to plate the frame with steel plate. (go overboard and use 1/4 inch. can't be too strong, can it?)

and the "most common" way, as ive seen it, is to use the pre-existing bodylines as guides, and basicly take the side window out.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

that's my friend aaron's chop-top. I got him to use a "dealer install" mj slider I had. this was easier for him to do a cheromanche with, than using the mj cab section.