Well, he's got 5 more, right?

Geonovast

Back in November, my brother's GF was driving his 98 XJ up into town to get some things for his birthday party, and the motor seized on her. Luckily it was only about 2 miles from their house. I ran out there, couldn't even turn it with a ratchet, so I bumpercar'd it back to his house.

Earlier today I was finally able to open up that motor and see what happened. Got it on a stand, flipped it upside down, pulled the pan off, and was greeted with this.

I'll switch to a better pic when his GF gets back and I can upload from her camera.

Chrysler did an awesome job FIXING the piston non-problem in 1996. :shake:

Short skirt diesel impersonating slipper pistons.

Thanks Chrysler. :ack:

The old AMC pistons that had full skirts & went 300k+ miles,

lets fix that. :dunce:

A little bit of Bondo to fill the low places in. It'll be OK

Yeah, and the best part is, if he ever tries to sell it chances are the buyer won't find the bondo since Ive never seen anyone check a piston for bondo with a magnet. :eek:

Yeah, and the best part is, if he ever tries to sell it chances are the buyer won't find the bondo since Ive never seen anyone check a piston for bondo with a magnet. :eek:

How could they anyway? Pistons are aluminum. :hmm:

How could they anyway? Pistons are aluminum. :hmm:

Sure, just ruin my attempt at humor. :wall:

correy, I have a spare head laying around...

and, to get the pilot out, sharp chizel, and some time with a hammer. break it into several pieces.

I picked up a grease gun(I've needed one anyway for a long time). If that doesn't work I'll try the chisel.

What I don't get is why this motor has the smaller pilot bushing. I thought they'd changed after 90..

However, it does explain the weird chattering noise I was getting when I would push in the clutch on my 4.0 MJ. The motor probably had the larger size, and the trans(that came from the motor going into my Brother's XJ), has the smaller. :wall: