CHEAP M/T TIRES!!!

ANYBODY EVER RUN THESE??? Their Pep-Boys Definity Dakota M/T's

Been readin some pretty good reviews on um. Thier made by Cooper and have a 40k mile tread life. Priced um out at $550 for a set of 4 out tha door with road hazard. I know the ole saying that you git what you pay for but for about half tha cost of most other larger sized MT's, I'm thinkin they might be worth a try.

Their sold at Pep-Boys. That price is a carry out price through their commercial sales. Pep-Boys offers a buy three git one free deal on um but my truck won't qualify for tha promotion. In order to qualify for that promotion, you have to buy all their other b/s (mounting, balancing, valve stems and road hazard protection plus a $99 dollar front end alignment in which can't be done on my truck as it is now. So much for gittin one FREE. :shake:

Anyway, just like to know if any of yall have run these. My budget is tellin me to go for um. :thumbsup:

what size r they.

i saw that walmart has 31x10.5s there pretty cheap too

285/75/16 Thats just under a 33x11.50 but not by much. Thats as big as they come in a 16. Those Wal-mart tires are A/T's. Looked at um yesterday. Forgot tha name on um but their one of Goodyears Wrangler tires. Not a bad looking tire just not as aggressive as I want.

Those Dakota's look pretty damn good standin next to my truck. Definately not an A/T. That pic of it doesnt do it justice. I really like um for tha price. Considering thats a carry out price, mounting and balancing won't be a problem since one of my sons works at a new car dealership with top of tha line equipment.

Any idea where they're made? I won't buy a Chinese-made tire, so that eliminated some AT tires from my search a while ago. Sounds like your mind is made up on an MT, just don't expect too much mileage out of them on the street. I think the Goodyear Wrangler Authority at WalMart is a great looking tire, certainly more MT-ish than AT-ish, and I think they're $130 a tire in 31x10.50. WalMart charges something like $18/tire for balancing, valve stems, road hazard, and tire disposal (mounting is free).

I put a set of the Definity Dakota AT's in 30x9.50, on a '98 GMC Sonoma 2wd truck that my youngest daughter will be driving. They went on stock GMC alloy wheels, 3" body lift, new shocks, and they ride pretty nice, not loud at freeway speeds at all. They rub at full lock, but don't bottom out, so I'm okay with them so far.

Well, at least I'm not hearing anything terrible about um other than tha need to keep um rotated and to find tha sweet spot for front to rear air pressure to reduce wear. Thats a lot easier to do when you know how much weight is on each axle. I don't know who got it stuck in every bodies heads that all of your truck tires should be run at tha same pressure. :dunno:

For example ........ If tha front of your truck is twice as heavy as tha rear ....... Daaaaa ...... your front tires need close to twice as much pressure as tha rear to carry the additional load. Right now your truck is likely under inflated in tha front and over inflated in tha rear. This is true on all vehicles but especially on trucks where tha front to rear weight ratio varies as much as it does.

Back when tires werent as wide as they are today it was harder to notice tha difference. But with today's wider tires you notice premature center or outer wear all too soon.

Just don't forget to inflate and deflate when you rotate your tires.

Here's a pretty nice list of tires I found while surfing for reviews on various tires. Sorry but it happens to be on a Tacoma site.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels ... tires.html

• 1 month later...

Tha price was right so I broke down and bought a set of 285/75/16 Dakota M/T's from Pep-Boys. I've only had on for a few days but so far I like um. They ride smooth and have virtually no road noise. Got all 4 with road hazard for $546 bucks out tha door. I didnt pay their $13 bucks a tire for mount and balance plus another $10 for 4 valve stems. That was a carry out deal through their commercial tire sales. I also claimed "farm use" and didnt pay any taxes. Not a bad deal. And they look good too. jamminz.gif

What are the front springs from?
:rotf: Tha previous owner put those under it. I was told they were out of an F250 4x4. Might have even been a diesel. :nuts: Talk about a rough ride. Their coming out as soon as my R/C order arrives. (6.5 springs, upper & lower adj control arms, adj track bar, 2" drop pitman arm)

at wallmart they are wrangler territory 31x10.5r15 for 156$ a piece

I'm gonna go for those! my truck is gonna be my daily driver so I don't realy care to much about the off road performance

i looked at those the other day, look pretty good but the wanted $790 for em out the door.. meanwhile i can get a lot better tires for $840 with none of the other junk they charge up here