"Hidden Winch'' Bumper

The MJ I just bought still had ALL the original paperwork, including the owners manual. In the back of the manual, in the accessories section, there was a factory available bumper called a "hidden winch" bumper. Looked exactly like the factory bumper, only about 6 inches longer and contained a winch of some sort.

Anyone know where to track one down, or have any pics of one still in existence?

Probably not the greatest thing ever, but its just cool since it was a factory jeep accessory in '87

The bumper is the same as all XJ/MJ bumpers. The winch mount plate uses the same factory brackets as the factory tow hooks. The factory brackets (unlike the clones) had two sets of mounting holes. Using the second set moved the brackets forward several inches to create a space for the winch behind the bumper.

The factory hidden winch was on my short list to buy a year before I even found my Comanche. I kept coming accross threads like this one all over but was always a day late and a dollar short.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.p ... dden+winch

Someone on that thread mentioned that the "detoursusa" would be the closest thing to a hidden winch one could find today.

The biggest issue with it is that it was used with a 6000K winch. I've never had my hands on one; so I do not know if you could fit a larger winch on it or not. But 6000K really isn't a large enough winch for the vehicle.

It was also a proprietary version of the Ramsey 6000-lb winch. Normally, the winch "feet:" mount pointing down and the controls face up. With the hidden winch, the mounting plate is vertical so the feet have to point toward the rear of the vehicle rather than down. Which means the wich base is "clocked" 90 degrees relative to the mechanism and controls. I don't know if a standard 6000 or 8000 pounder can be modified to mount that way.

The biggest issue with it is that it was used with a 6000K winch. I've never had my hands on one; so I do not know if you could fit a larger winch on it or not. But 6000K really isn't a large enough winch for the vehicle.

It was also a proprietary version of the Ramsey 6000-lb winch. Normally, the winch "feet:" mount pointing down and the controls face up. With the hidden winch, the mounting plate is vertical so the feet have to point toward the rear of the vehicle rather than down. Which means the wich base is "clocked" 90 degrees relative to the mechanism and controls. I don't know if a standard 6000 or 8000 pounder can be modified to mount that way.

Sure they can... they mount that way inside an ARB bull bar...

The line actually feeds out the "bottom" of the winch when its installed that way.

Sure they can... they mount that way inside an ARB bull bar...

The line actually feeds out the "bottom" of the winch when its installed that way.

Cool. But the way the hidden winch is set up, it would be feeding out the "top." I guess if you can do one, you can do the other.

• 1 month later...

So it looks like I am getting one, albeit with a non-working winch, sometime in the next month. The chrome bumper is toast as someone previously tried to remove the winch through the front of the bumper (wtf.....???)

However, all brackets and everything are there. Plus I have a GREAT front bumper to use for this. I'm getting it more for the historical factor, but if I can repair the winch I will. If not, I hear you can grind a little to make an 8000# work.

PS. and I see Justin snooping around this forum....I'm thinking I just barely snapped this one up before him. :D

So it looks like I am getting one, albeit with a non-working winch, sometime in the next month. The chrome bumper is toast as someone previously tried to remove the winch through the front of the bumper (wtf.....???)

However, all brackets and everything are there. Plus I have a GREAT front bumper to use for this. I'm getting it more for the historical factor, but if I can repair the winch I will. If not, I hear you can grind a little to make an 8000# work.

PS. and I see Justin snooping around this forum....I'm thinking I just barely snapped this one up before him. :D

Once you get it, detailed photos and dimensions of the mounting plate(s) would be much appreciated. I had found a diagram about 5 or 6 years ago, but that was several computer crashes ago and I no longer have it.

Once you get it, detailed photos and dimensions of the mounting plate(s) would be much appreciated. I had found a diagram about 5 or 6 years ago, but that was several computer crashes ago and I no longer have it.

At $100 for everything, I feel a guilty duty to provide as much historical data as possible. :cheers:

Found another bumper, kicking myself for not considering that one :headpop:

Yeah, but YOU get to come and check it out in person if you want when I get it. :cheers: (well, maybe "cheers" when you turn legal lol)

Yeah, but YOU get to come and check it out in person if you want when I get it. :cheers: (well, maybe "cheers" when you turn legal lol)

haha the perks of living in Alberta :brows: