AW4 or AX15....

I'm tring to decide which way I want to go.I have a almost dead BA10 and need to make a decision soon..

lets hear the pros and cons on each AW4 and AX15 the truck will be used on and off road.

Also I have a 1988 MJ so what year's AW4 do I need to be looking for or is there a difference?

Also the truck I have was a automatic in an earlier life so is the wiring that I need already there?

Thanks for the replies,Now to the tech side of the question,Whats years on the automatic or does the transmission matter,I know I will need a TCU and trans harness , I would assume it needs to be out of a renix era vehicle?Ive seen several 1997 cherokees around cheap,If not one of them I have a couple of junk yards around with a ton of cherokees.

it depends on the usage.

For me on a Jeep that's primarily a street/dirt road vehicle I'll choose the ax15 hands down for the added acceleration, simplicity and fuel econ

But I wish my YJ had a AW4 a vehicle that spends a large portion of it's time in low range on trails

Just a bit of tech... if you're considering offroading applications..

AW-4's first gear is 2.80:1

AX-15's first gear is 3.83:1

Assuming a factory 231 and 4.10 axles...

Crawl ratio will be

AW-4 = 31.1108

AX-15 = 42.5551

True but in my opinion having a torque converter makes up for this. You really can't compare auto and stick crawl ratios by the numbers alone because the torque converter acts like a lower 1st than it really is. You can roll up to and have a obstacle stop you with an auto, you can't do that with a stick.

True but in my opinion having a torque converter makes up for this. You really can't compare auto and stick crawl ratios by the numbers alone because the torque converter acts like a lower 1st than it really is. You can roll up to and have a obstacle stop you with an auto, you can't do that with a stick.

I'm aware :thumbsup: Just putting up the facts so someone could show the other side.

Thanks for the replies,Now to the tech side of the question,Whats years on the automatic or does the transmission matter,I know I will need a TCU and trans harness , I would assume it needs to be out of a renix era vehicle?Ive seen several 1997 cherokees around cheap,If not one of them I have a couple of junk yards around with a ton of cherokees.

i got an 88 like yours with auto, tried replacing my TCU with one out of a H.O., didnt work. :doh: (i could manually shift it, but put it in drive it would start in 3rd) so if you have a renix and go with the AW-4 make sure everything you get is renix.

If I get a later model transmission and transfer case can use it ?I would need a TCU from a renix motor?

Is this combo possible?

Later model autos are easier to find complete,and there a ton of earlier doners for the TCU and all the other parts.

Ive found a few AX15 trans here with transfer cases for around 700$

The only reason I'm even considering an auto is the last wheeling trip over half the vehicles were running automatics...I remember when no one ran an automatics.

So If I'm going to spend the money and time to change it I only want to do it once...But I still can't decide....