new MJ

aemsee

Well, I won a 87 MJ off ebay. 2.5, auto 4x4 short bed. An unusual combo I thought. I was looking for the auto with column shift cause I need the bench seat, and the wife won't drive stick, and that is what my current MJ is.

Body doesn't look too bad. Normal rust coming through on bed sides and drivers rocker, but owner says floors have no rot. Interior is very clean, with carpet. Bonus.

Now I just need to get down to Pa to pick it up.

aemsee - looks like a nice find, I think I seen that on e-bay, but then my puter went blank, and shut down, and I couldn't bring it back up???

Oh, thats right, that was the one you wanted ;)

It looks nice and clean, both in and out. aah, PA truck, should be totaly rust free, not what were use to seeing :teehee:

It sounds like your starting a new trend here = His and Hers MJ's jamminz.gif

You might have gotten luckier than you think.....

Check the tranny on it. If it's an AW4, then those axles *should* be 4.56's stock jamminz.gif . Very rare combo, only available in XJ/MJ from 87-89 with 2.5/AW4

I've got a D30 about to go under mine that came from an XJ like that, out of the junkyard. The rear was a D35 (and I left it there).

Let us know what you find!

Jeff

Now ya got me excited to see what the axles are. At some point in the future i will probably swap in a 4.0. I have a new short block, reman head and all the goodies to put one together, or maybe I'll find me some 258 parts and make up a stroker for it, but that is nothing that will happen soon.

Unfortunately it looks like it is going to be a couple of weeks before I can get down to pick it up. And I aint a good waiter.

My mistake was using an aftermarket radiator in it. Didn't cool for $#!&. After I scavanged a trans cooler from a minivan and rigged it in, problems gone. Well, for the tranny anyhow. Still couldn't use the AC when it was over 90 without my engine running hot. I loved my little red bus, but had to lose one vehicle and that one was starting to see it's NY age.382524.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, picked up the "new" MJ a couple of days ago. Mostly what I expected. A little more rot in the rockers than I thought from the pics, but the floor is super solid as is the rest of the undercarriage.

Now I'm pulling the 2.5 to see if I can rebuild it. Lots of blow by and some rod knock. PO said the engine was on it's last legs so no suprise there.

BUT, it does have the 4.56 gears so that is a really good bonus. I'm getting rid of the Smittybilt front bumper, and probably the non-Comanche roll bar that is in it as well. It doesn't fit too well.

Here's the new 87 and the old 88

Looks real clean from here! That bumper definitely does not match the truck though.

The PO gave me the stock bumper, so I'll put that on for now. Then when I have a chance I'm gonna try my hand at fabbing up my own design front with hooks and a receiver mount. Something that doesn't stick out too much.

Wow that looks like my 86 long bed great looking truck you could swap in a 3.4 sfi,bolt rite to tranny easy instal and good power take all the wiring a ecu from doner vehicle we did it came from a 95 camaro/firebird all told we had 800.00 in it w/22,000 mi on it used the camaro fuel lines stainless just rebent where needed radiator made it fit but get everything we even had to go back and get the steering column for the security system, key had a transponder chip its been bypassed now but at first the truck wouldnt run other wise, Cool thing when something goes wrong with a sensor we took it to the GM garage and had them put on computer LOL should have seen there faces when they saw what they were going to work on we asked them havent they ever seen a Comanchero before LOL. Great fuel mi and plenty O power too and with a overdrive trans and 456 gears can you say 31s or 33s oh yea all day long.good luck with your project oh and one more swap to think about ive seen a few 4&5 cyl Mercedes turbo diesel swaps Can you say 30 mpg and same power as stock or maybe a little more make your own fuel Bio-Diesel, Just a thought.

Thanks for the interest irish, but in 87 they used the AW4 tranny, which is a big reason I went for it. They are basically bulletproof. If it did have the 2.8 option I would definitly go the EFI route. Even the EFI 2.8 out of a Camaro/Firebird would be a huge improvement. I think that engine family is one of GM's best, and I detest GM as a rule :D .

I'll be pulling the 2.5 today/tomorrow and tear it down to see if it is rebuildable. After I get it running and on the road I'll need to spend most of my attention on the body as i don't want the NY salt to do any more damage to it. It will be a DD for a while so nothing more than a 2 or 3 inch lift.

I do have a new 4.0 block and head and everything to put it together but that will be down the road as I'm also in the middle of finishing the rebuild on the 304 in my Hornet. Waaaay to many projects going at once.

If I am able to rebuild the 2.5, you can bet it will be painted AMC blue!