wanting to get new exhaust?

I have a 92 4.0 manche shorty. Anyway, my stock exhaust is getting some leakage and I want to replace it. It is my DD and I think I want to go a little cheaper on the exhaust. I would like to have some better sound (I do not want the neighbors to get pissy), but I want to save some change and have something that will last longer and sound better. The winters here in Illinois are a killer with the salt cancer (life expectancy is short around here). My budget is low ($150-200). Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate this website and the peeps who post here. Word to your mothers.

Peace :cheers:

Conan

Welcome to the site !

If you have not been welcomed yet .

There are a couple of good headers and exhaust set ups out there . You want to make sure you have the proper size pipe

for that motor .

As a daily driver you don't want to loose too much back pressure , for milage reasons .

Anyone know the proper size for a blend of performance and consumption ?

Any decent muffler shop should be able to hook you up with new piping from the the manifold on back. If your budget is $200, I'd also suggest getting a Thrush all-welded chambered muffler. Summit Racing sells them for about $30 plus shipping, and your local auto parts store might even have them in stock for around $40. Most likely if you got a new cat that would blow your budget, so you'll have to decide on that as well.

Bottom line: help out a local muffler shop by letting them put on some new aluminized exhaust tubing, and use one of those Thrush mufflers, which are half the price of a comparable Flowmaster or Magnaflow, and will sound just as nice. Those two things should keep your new exhaust below $200.

:agree: With socal1200 , Local shops can get you a good product and get you want you want .

They will USUALLY do a better job , at doing a more complete installation . If something isn't right , they have to

fix it . Saving you a little time and headache of taring the old one out and getting the new one to fit .

Sucks to have an exhaust leak when you get it all back in there .

They're the same back to the cat. After that ???????? The pipe over the axle might be the same. There's about a foot diff in body lengths and that diff is either taken up by the short pipe between the cat and the muffler or they're the same past the muffler with the diff in length made up by the tail pipe. I'll check in the AM and report back. It's dark out there and I'm afraid of the boogy man

Just checked.The tail pipes are different, seems to be the location of the XJ gas tank, The Xj tail pipe goes straight back and points down. The MJ bends behind the axle and exits out the side. The exhausts are identical from the ex manifold to past the cat.Between the Cat and the muffler is 2 types. One is a short pipe, approx 8". The other is a longer pipe about 14", It looks like the short pipe is original and the longer pipe was used when a after market muffler was installed. This seems to be the case for both XJ and MJ.