Comanche trouble . . .1988 2.5L TBI.

My 2.5 kept bogging out . . . It was rolling along then it would slowly bog down and stall.

If you play'd with the throttle you could keep it rolling a few extra seconds before stalling.

Now it did this a few times on me today.

I found 2 out of 3 time it would remain running at idle, a few times running just off kept it rolling steady for a short time.

Stepped it down or got on it and she would die right out.

Now limping it back to the shoulder and let idle a few seconds then shut if off sit 5-10 -15min fire it back up it would run normal for a few more miles then started acting up all over slowly getting worse . . .

only 500 miles on plugs wires fuel pump n fuel filter, limped it home installed new Cap n Rotor changed out fuel filter primed system truck fired up idled perfectly for 10min then reved it 6 times then let it idle for another 5min then shut it off as all seemed well again . . .

Is there anything else i should check test or keep an eye if said problem continues ?

Mike

It could be CPS. It could also be coil, or ignition module, overheating. Next time it happens, see if you have spark. If it's a throttle body (did you mention the year?), you should be able to see if it's squirting gas.

It could be CPS. It could also be coil, or ignition module, overheating. Next time it happens, see if you have spark. If it's a throttle body (did you mention the year?), you should be able to see if it's squirting gas.

Post subject: Comanche trouble . . .1988 2.5L TBI.

Yes year is mentioned see :rotf: ? you click on it to read this :rotfl2: :help: me . . .

2. The ignition dose sounds plausible with what i am witnessing . . . cause by letting it sit a while after it stalls out it fires right back and rolls on as tho nothing happened . . . for while . . . if start up right away it continue to buck & stumble . . .

3. CPS ? Crank Position sensor ?, Ignition module ?

4. test for fuel & spark when it starts bucking ? or when it actually stalls ? Trouble is as i crank it over it'll fire right back up . . .

sounds fuel filter related to me....

Jeff

Fuel filter only has 500 miles or less on it, tonight i did the cap n rotor.

I have a spare new fuel filter, but when i removed the line on the engine side it shot fuel perfectly . . .change it any how ?

Mike

It kind of sounds like the ignition module is getting heat soaked :hmm:

If you can grab a spare one and swap it in, see if that make a difference.

Your.......shut if off sit 5-10 -15min fire it back up .....makes me think of that.

that's was i was looking at the coil pack . . .

But it'll fire up right after it stalls it just runs like crap stumbles n buck's then stalls again . . .

So i let it sit . . .

fired back up ran great for a few more miles blocks yards bogged down and bucking stumbling catch and falling till it finally stalled again . . .

the longer it sat the further it went :yes:

while i test ran here at home after the Cap & rotor the hood was open :hmm: venting the heat that's why it ran fine for 15-17min then i shut it off and posted this. . .

Mike

Why replace any of them until you know which one is bad? Then just replace it. If you already have a known good unit, then swap it and see. All 3 of these units can be tested with a ohm meter. Is it a heat soak problem? Get a CO2 fire extinguisher (every garage and vehicle should have one)and spray the suspected part. Just do one at a time. Don't blanket spray everything. Or a pack of dry ice. Just something to cool down the suspected unit.

I had a clogged cat once. A dose ExLax took care of that.

:teehee:

I was thinking the same thing :rotf:

If you can find/barrow a ignition module/coil combo, and swap that out now, toss your old one in the cab, and drive around to find out if that is your problem, then you got it knocked.

The CPS should only be replace with a new one, not used, and yes, the Dealer part is much better in that choice.

You know there's the 'ole' trick of unplugging the CPS connector when it will not start, as a temporary fix, if that the problem........But, I agree, it's also easy to do an ohm's test on it.

1. Not start ? . . .It always starts ! it just doesn't always stay running . . .I was very low on Gas so i stopped and got some gas then just down the road:

you'd be driving along and all the sudden it bog out feather the throttle some you limp it a few more yards but ultimately it stalls out the it dies you can fire it right back up instantly, it'll idle roughly if you give some throttle and rev up till it hits 1,200-1,500rpm but then it'll fade n bog down n die.

let it sit a few seconds then fires it up ti'll run a few blocks then do it all again . . .

Part #1 was what it did on my way to my shed so i turned around and headed back that is what it did the whole way back.

2. Once i limped it home, i changed the Distributor Cap and Rotor so far i have taken any lengthy trip's so for the short normal daily life driving its been running flawlessly . . .

Part #2 here is what i did once i got back home.

Could it have been the cap & rotor ? or will have to take another long drive ? or was just watery fuel working its way through ?

Mike

Ok.........maybe I'm reading this wrong........You have not been driving it much???? you had the tank on the low side......durn the winter months???? It spits and farts every once in a while........and ........Did I read that right :hmm:

1) gas only has a 3-4 week shelf life (in the tank) then it becomes "stale" gas. Unless you add some stabilizer to it when it's new and fresh.

2) You should keep the fuel tank filled and topped off durn the winter, because the tank can condensate and collect Water in the tank. The engine, any engine will not run on water.

3) you should keep some dry gas on hand durn the winter months, and use it, if the temp drops below freezing, and the above #2 is the reason why.

3a) as my neighbor across the street about that, right after the 1st when his blazer would not start.......I dump a can of dry gas in, and 20 minutes later (that's how long you should wait) after jumping him, it fired right up, but, we had to run the "frozen" gas thru the system first :roll:

So.......all the parts you thru at it........could be just the gas your running :hmm:

So.......the above reasons could be the real problem your having :dunno:

......... Is it a heat soak problem? Get a CO2 fire extinguisher (every garage and vehicle should have one)and spray the suspected part. Just do one at a time. Don't blanket spray everything. ..........

A can of air duster (for cleaning your keyboard) when held upside down will spray a freeze spray. Cheap way to find heat related problems.

Scott

Ok.........maybe I'm reading this wrong........You have not been driving it much???? you had the tank on the low side......durn the winter months???? It spits and farts every once in a while........and ........Did I read that right :hmm:

It get's driven every day, from one side of the road to the other alternate side parking, then once a week it goes to the bank then to the grocery store if it don't snow i don't work, it wasn't a once in while occurrence it happened just this one time right after i drove out of town then gassed it up is when it acted up, and it this from the Gas station by my storage shed all the way back home.

hasn't done it since.

Mike

It get's driven every day, from one side of the road to the other alternate side parking, then once a week it goes to the bank then to the grocery store if it don't snow i don't work, it wasn't a once in while occurrence it happened just this one time right after i drove out of town then gassed it up is when it acted up, and it this from the Gas station by my storage shed all the way back home.

hasn't done it since.

Mike

from you saying that id say you go abit of bad gas.

Yup i feel your right it was just some bad fuel working its way through the system, as i had the engine running more most of the day driving it around went out and visted the ol'AMX, stopped at my folks house. . .i even swung by my old company to see how the new owner was doing all seems to be well . . .

So it was great ! ! ! I love that little 2.5er . . .If it could tow 4,500LB's i'd use it to fully replace my 6.5er :clapping: jamminz.gif :thumbsup:

Mike

I got oil all over my new starter :fs1: . . . I noticed it dripping on the ground after i ran a few hours what would be leaking on that side of the engine ?

oil level is still full :hmm: so it can't be leaking a lot of volume ? :dunno: ?

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well the issue seems to be getting worse.

After a few act ups now, its gotta be an ignition issue.

I have been shutting it off when it acts up and letting it sit each time but the SOB is doing it more often and lasts longer . . .

Tomorrow ill be replacing the coil, and see what's happens.

Mike