Swapping Gears....?

Alright well this isnt going to be immediate by any means but i have a friend with a 91 YJ that upgraded to full size Axles, Its a 4 cylinder with a Dana 30/35 combo, He offered to give me his gears (not axles just gears) for free, to my knowledge they should be 4:10 (4 cyl, mt), Could at a later time these gear sets be swapped into my MJ Axles? (currently at 3:55), or is there alot more to it than that? I would have a Garage or experienced mechanic do it 1 of these days but is it worth my time to keep these things around if i get them?

why on earth would he pull the gears? :hmm: the axles are valuable with the gears installed and set up. take those out and they're just scrap. :dunno:

Be aware that used gears have no guarantee of ever running quiet installed in another axle. Like a lot of moving parts (bearings, U-joints, tires), they develop a wear pattern and the chances of precisely matching that pattern are pretty slim.

Double triple check the ratio. 2.5 could have received 3.55 if the trans is an AX-4. My first MJ is a 91, and it came with 2.5/AX-4/3.55

They are coming out of a YJ. I don't believe the YJ was ever offered with a 4-speed.

Double triple check the ratio. 2.5 could have received 3.55 if the trans is an AX-4. My first MJ is a 91, and it came with 2.5/AX-4/3.55

They are coming out of a YJ. I don't believe the YJ was ever offered with a 4-speed.

I've never heard of them coming with an AX-4 either, but hey, it's a Jeep. Especially with axle gearing, it never hurts to triple check anything.

He twisted off the input shaft yoke of his 35 and upgraded.....the axles themselves i don't think have any issues other than that, He just offered me the gear sets since they would be an upgrade 2 me, lol his reasoning othewise is left to the wondering mind :shake: :dunno: :rotf:

if he twisted off the pinion yoke, the rear gears are JUNK.

front gears are probably decent, but you need the carrier as well.

I had jpdocdave swap my front d30 gears into an empty housing when I bent my d30 front....I didn't have another 4.10 set. the wear pattern is PERFECT...but he has 2500 in tools just for doing gears, and knows his crap.

Rule of thumb....buy a new install kit for them, but get ALL of the old bearings and shims, as well as carrier...even if you have to pay for a carrier for him to use with his upgraded gearset. This will give the installer the most knowledge of how the gears were set up as possible...meaning setup will be easy.

I'm told it's easier to set up gears with the axle in the vehicle, because the axle can't move when torque is applied. Dave did mine out of the truck, but would have preferred it in the truck. I used my old bearings, but he had to swap a good carrier bearing from my 3.07 carrier that came out of the "new" axle...quite a chore I'm told, as even with the proper bearing seperator/puller, they don't typically come off in good shape.

-Pat

I had jpdocdave swap my front d30 gears into an empty housing when I bent my d30 front....I didn't have another 4.10 set. the wear pattern is PERFECT...but he has 2500 in tools just for doing gears, and knows his crap.

Rule of thumb....buy a new install kit for them, but get ALL of the old bearings and shims, as well as carrier...even if you have to pay for a carrier for him to use with his upgraded gearset. This will give the installer the most knowledge of how the gears were set up as possible...meaning setup will be easy.

I'm told it's easier to set up gears with the axle in the vehicle, because the axle can't move when torque is applied. Dave did mine out of the truck, but would have preferred it in the truck. I used my old bearings, but he had to swap a good carrier bearing from my 3.07 carrier that came out of the "new" axle...quite a chore I'm told, as even with the proper bearing seperator/puller, they don't typically come off in good shape.

-Pat

thanks for the good words pat. i've been doing gears for a while, and i've spent a ton of money on tools souly used for gear installs, and i'm still learning better proper technique, and even better tools. setting up the gears out of the vehicle is ok if you have a way of securing it, just on jack stands does suck. there's also different style pullers that can remove the bearings without damage whatsoever, and i will be buying the dana specific puller soon. my advise on that is find someone that really knows what they're doing, not just thinks they know, and get their help.

i agree with pete, they should've stayed in the axle, and there's a big chance they could make noise if you install them. if the rear is even useable.