LCA question

I have done this...its a PIA. I would just go buy new complete LCA's (NOT Very expensive) or get a set form someone who just put in a lift.

Being they are stamped steel, pounding on them causes flex. Most of your "power" is absorbed in the flex, so your arms will be noodles and before you finish. I use a ball joint press with good results.

Just my humble opinion.

CW

well, problem is, I'm planning on a lift sometime this winter but my wobbles are getting out of control, and its a DD that i can't go without.

why would complete new ones be easier? are the bushings themselves hard to change?

http://rep.racepages.com/parts/racepage ... howdc=true

They cost about 40 each/new for the lowers, 25 each for the uppers. Next to nothing from another jeeper who added a lift. Too easy/cheap to get to fiddle around changing bushings in the ones you have. thats all.

How do you know/figure the ones you have are bad?

CW

If your lifting it why not go ahead and buy the adjustables so you already have them ready. Also my experience is that adjustable are easier to get in since the rotate you can get them perfectly lined up for the hole but you still need to beat them in or use a bottle jack to get them in.

Cole

why would complete new ones be easier? are the bushings themselves hard to change?

Not super difficult, but difficult to accomplish without trashing the arms. The bushings are a press fit, and the arm is (as you must already know) a 3-sided stamping of heavy-gauge sheet metal. To not destroy the arms, you NEED a spacer that's the exact thickness of the space between the two sides of the arm. Without that, if you don't trash the arm getting the old bushing out, you will trash it getting the new bushings in.

If you buy compete arms from Crown or Quadratec, you won't pay much more than the bushings will cost you at NAPA.

Loosen up the control arm bolts before you put it on jack stands. They can be a real B**** to get loose. its a safer than getting it up in the air then having to fight a frozen nut with a cheeterbar laying on you back under a truck up on jack stands. And with all the bolts loose its easyer to align the bolt holes cause everythings allready loose. then once you got it all back togeather take the truck off the stands then tighten/torque everything back.