whos got 8.8s

ok guys I'm looking to hear the stories about how the install went with your rear axles. easy, hard, complications? i wanna hear it all.

even if you have another axle in your truck i wanna know what you have and the benefits.

you have all seen my truck and can clearly see the direction I'm going with it and i need a rearend that will take alot of power and abuse!

Swap out the carrier for a full locker or aftermarket posi and the Explorer 8.8 will take pretty much anything you can throw at it. The carrier, spiders, and center pin are the typical failure points (though they are still very hard to break).

I had one before. Seemed to work pretty good. Weld the damn tubes to the housing! Install was a breeze, just measure twice and weld once! And snag the flange for the pinion to adapt it to the 1310 joint. You can also get those out of ford vans and trucks with either the 7.5 or 8.8 if your's doesn't come with one. Oh, and the ranger 8.8 is crap.

But yeah, the weak point is the stock carrier. I think a detroit truetrac would work good for your application. However, I'd probably pick up one with disk brakes and 4.10s and a LSD and run it and see what happens. The local boys around here have been running serious horsepower through their's with little issue.

9 inch axles don't match the Jeep bolt pattern. That's why they aren't as common for swapping. You need to put extra effort (money) into either changing the pattern or swapping in a front axle too.

Oh, and I broke something in my 88's 9 inch last offroading adventure. Don't know what yet, but the pinion is just a bit looser than before. :hmm: Can't touch it though, as it's in line behind my '90 for a turn in the garage.

Nothing is invincible, but the 8.8 is right on the 9 inch's heels for toughness.

9 inch axles don't match the Jeep bolt pattern. That's why they aren't as common for swapping. You need to put extra effort (money) into either changing the pattern or swapping in a front axle too.

Oh, and I broke something in my 88's 9 inch last offroading adventure. Don't know what yet, but the pinion is just a bit looser than before. :hmm: Can't touch it though, as it's in line behind my '90 for a turn in the garage.

Nothing is invincible, but the 8.8 is right on the 9 inch's heels for toughness.

Ah, I see now, thanks pete now I know. I guess that's part of the reason I'm here, to learn new things.

I am running the 8.8 and it is a tough axle :brows: I strongly recommend buying an aftermarket diff guard or cover. The lower lip is real easy to peel back, and once it starts to leak there is no stopping it. Also you will have to trim the studs down if you decide to run 1.5" spacers, or at least I did :D

I am running the 8.8 and it is a tough axle :brows: I strongly recommend buying an aftermarket diff guard or cover. The lower lip is real easy to peel back, and once it starts to leak there is no stopping it. Also you will have to trim the studs down if you decide to run 1.5" spacers, or at least I did :D

ditto. mine's out of a 98 explorer and it's got all the nice bells n whistles (LSD - which i hear is crap and disk brakes)

I think besides the strength this axle provides, the disk brakes in the rear really help you stop on a dime. Infact, my mj stops better now with 35's and disks all the way round than it did on stock tires with drums in the rear. :brows: