1991 Green Machine

Ive had this truck for a couple years now and never made a build thread, so here goes. I bought this truck bone stock, with a cap and some rust for $600. At the time it only had 90k on it. I don't have any pictures of it then, but it came out pretty good compared to what I started with. I lifted it,fixed the rust, and I had it painted etc. Anyways, after two years its starting to need some more attention, so this time I plan on taking some pictures :D This is after I was finished working on it, all cleaned up

And here it is yesterday after phase 2 began

The plan is to fix the frame rot that I didnt want to deal with the 1st time around ( stupid decision )

Tonight I brought it inside and got some more work done

I plated inside the frame rails with steel and built up weld on the outside, then grinded it flush. Theres still more work to do, but its coming along. Originally this was supposed to be a quick patch job, but now I think I'm gonna go through the whole truck. Also, I found a nice parts truck......

Still stock axles, 30/35, but a new rear and a re-gear is part of the planned upgrades. Anyways, I had today off, so I pulled up the carpet and found some holes. No surprise there. Also, I went to a local junk yard and bought a bed. Its not perfect but it is usable. Its also alot better than my old one, even if it doesnt look like it in the pics. I tried buying the whole truck, but they'd rather sell it piece by piece......but at least Ive got parts available now. I have to go back to get the bed off sometime this week, it was cheaper if I pulled it.

• 1 month later...

Fixed the rocker, patched the floor, painted the entire "frame", new steering box, new brake lines with XJ prop valve, etc etc. I'm stripping the truck down now for paint again, possibly adding a new front clip and alot more. More pics to follow....

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update. I stripped all the paint off the cab, did alot of body work, and shot the whole truck in primer. I found some older photos that I just uploaded to document the process. The floor was welded in and the surface rust ground down before it got a nice coat of paint.....

More body work......my whole garage is covered in dust :fs1:

Another shot I found before it all came apart

Thanks....My only regret is that I didnt take any photos when I originally brought it home. Now when all this work is done, its really just gonna look like it does in the photo at the beginning of this thread. At least it will be alot more solid though.

• 2 months later...

Time for another update. Ive been finishing up the body for the past few months, but it should be getting paint in a week or two. The bed ended up getting a few patch panels, but now its perfect. I coated the entire underside of the bed w/ POR-15, then undercoated most of it. Probably overkill, but this is my 2nd time "restoring" the truck, and hopefully the last. Also, I sprayed the front of the bed w/ the factory color, and to my surprise, its not really close to the factory color. I went off the original paint code, so I'm assuming there's some variations to the shade. I'm gonna figure that out next......its hard to tell in the pic, but its more greyish than before. At least in person I guess..... this is my 1st time painting however, and I'm really happy w/ the results.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the weather is nice, the MJ has been sitting since Ive been working on another project. However, I did just get new 33 12.50 Mud terrains on soft 8's. The truck looks great with the new tires. Also, I picked up a comanche trailer hitch and started cleaning it up for installation. Pics soon.

• 2 months later...

Just started getting back to work on this thing. The bed is painted, cab should be shot with color by the weekend. The stripes have arrived ( and look great ) and then its time for assembly. Pics:

Also, Ill include a pic of my tailgate collection

A couple questions and bump for a sweet MJ

What do you have for a Rear bumper. I really like the front bumper who's it from, and what lift and tier size are you running.

I am just starting my MJ build and am taking ideas from all over.

• 1 month later...

Sprayed the cab this past weekend. It still needs a wet-sand and buff, but so far looks pretty good. Not bad for doing it myself. These pics also show my new tires and wheels. Next weekend Ill paint the doors, begin wet sanding, and hopefully start to put this thing back together.

• 1 month later...
Very nice , looks like something the factory would do , what are you doing to the interior ?

Just a freshening up. I got all new speakers and a sub, new woodgrain pieces from an XJ, and I plan to replace every little cracked or dis-colored part. I still have to paint and install the tailgate, flares and all the little stuff. Its almost a year since I started this!!