XJ dash harness to rear MJ harness wiring guides.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumping an old thread rather then starting a new one.

Are the pin outs the same for a 1992 MJ 2.5L & 1992 MJ 4.0L?

I have a lot of wiring ahead, I want to swap in a replacement fuse panel, A/C, pw, pl from a HO era XJ. I will be keeping the MJ dash just replacing the heater box.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Yep like shelby said. :thumbsup:

The "P" doesn't show in your diagram because it is not used however you will see it labeled on the flat connector on the steering column.

:cheers:

I understand all this but what I'm missing is a 11 pin flat. I had one on my old steering column, MJ one but not on my XJ one, so what does that mean?

I'm working on getting the wiring done on the manche. It's a full 93 dash, harness, everything and I'm having trouble placing one last wire. It says that pin 11 on the XJ black connector (in my case white/tan) needs to connect to pin P on the turn hazard switch. However on the HO dash and harness I see no such pin and wanted to see if anyone could tell me which wire to splice into. Here's a couple of pictures from the FSM for an 88 and a 93 showing the two differences.

Here's the 88:

Here's the 93:

Thanks for the help ahead of time as this thread has saved me a major headache trying to trace out all the wires.

dealing with same issue now myself. What do you do when you don't have the old column and have no 11 pin flat coming out of your column well I just figured out what you do. instead of running the white and tan wire out of the xj black connector to "P",( which you do not have with newer column), just splice into tan and dark green wire (stop and rh turn wire) that runs out the connector in same area, This should take care of the brake light issues. :)

• 1 month later...

Spent hours figuring this out, Figure i'd post it here so no one has to mess with it like i did.

If you do a HO Full dash / STEERING COLUMN swap like i did, Instead of running the brake lights to the 11 pin flat connector in the first post..

2wppmp2.png

The brake lights go to Pin 14 (empty pin) On the multi-function/Turn signal/Hazard switch.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I still have pins 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 sticking out not soldered to anything on the black HO xj dash harness. And on the grey HO xj dash harness I still have pins 8,11,12,13,14,15,16 to connect. What do I do with These wires? the chart I followed was the HO xj dash to rear renix mj harness, but it doesn't say where to connect these wires?

I still have pins 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 sticking out not soldered to anything on the black HO xj dash harness. And on the grey HO xj dash harness I still have pins 8,11,12,13,14,15,16 to connect. What do I do with These wires? the chart I followed was the HO xj dash to rear renix mj harness, but it doesn't say where to connect these wires?

read through this list:

pin 1 (db/or) Speaker return right rear

pin 2 (db/wt) Speaker feed right rear

pin 3 (or/bk) panel illumination

pin 4 (bk) ground

pin 5 (pk) courtesy lamps

pin 6 (br/lb) speaker return left rear

pin 7 (br/yl) speaker feed left rear

pin 8

pin 9 (yl) switched ground

pin 10 (lg) seat belt switch

pin 11 (br/rd) rear wiper run

pin 12 (wt) rear wiper park

pin 13 (or/vt) lock relay

pin 14 (pk/wt) unlock relay

pin 15 (vt/yl) security alarm liftgate

pin 16 (pk/or) keyless arm input

92 XJ Black body connector (wire colors in parentheses):

pin 1 (dg/tn) Fuel Pump

pin 2 (tn/dg) Right Rear Turn Signal

pin 3 (db/rd) Parking Lamps

pin 3 (db/rd) Parking Lamps

pin 4 (db) Fuel Gauge

pin 5 (br/lg) Backup Lamp Signal

pin 6 (lg/bk) Left Rear Turn Signal

pin 7 (gy/or) Brake Pressure Warning SW/ Park Brake Light

pin 7 (gn) Brake Pressure Warning Switch

pin 8 (bk/rd) Rear Defogger

pin 9

pin 10 (bk/wt) Rear Washer Feed

pin 11 (wt/tn) Stop Lamps

pin 11 (wt/tn) Stop Lamps

pin 12

pin 13

pin 14

pin 15 (db/or) Illuminated Entry Signal

pin 15 (dg/or) Right front door security

pin 16 (lg/or) Left front door security

the pins you haven't connected are things the MJ doesn't have. I unpinned those wires from the harness. with a small screw driver you can push the tab up un pull out the wires.

don't forget about these though

Pin 7 on XJ Black connector needs to be attached to the E-brake switch.

* Pin 11 on XJ Black connector, need to run a wire to pin P on the turn signal/hazard switch.(11 pin flat connector on lower steering column) This will provide proper wiring for the brake lights.

So I did the ho to renix swap in my 88 4.0 comanche, I used a 92 xj laredo as a donor, I swapped all of the interior (dash, gauge cluster, etc.) I also used all of the interior wiring from the cherokee, as well as the engine wiring harness. I followed the chart for the renix to ho splicing, and I turned my truck over today, it turned over just fine, but I did not hear the fuel pump running. I have not checked to see if the tail lights work yet, can anyone help me out? Is there a ground wire somewhere I could have missed?

• 1 year later...

boilermaker I know you had said you were going to do a 96 to renix.  I'm trying to find the wire colors for the dash harness from a 96 xj ho to connect to rear harness on a renix mj. There are 13 wires to black plug and 10 wires to gray plug. Any help or a point in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2012 at 7:05 PM, Lee21490 said:

Spent hours figuring this out, Figure i'd post it here so no one has to mess with it like i did.

If you do a HO Full dash / STEERING COLUMN swap like i did, Instead of running the brake lights to the 11 pin flat connector in the first post..

2wppmp2.png

The brake lights go to Pin 14 (empty pin) On the multi-function/Turn signal/Hazard switch.

I'm trying to figure out exactly where this connector is, it's not on the column as far as I can see. I did swap a 93 tilt column in, along with the same HO harness.