AX-15 swap Nov 21-22

Geonovast

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was actually up at 4:45 yesterday morning... no idea why.

We got pretty far along. All the old stuff out, Brent got the welds for the trans crossmember ground off for me. Hopefully I'll only need to get 1 or 2 of the broken bolts out to get the new one bolted on. Trans is in, and bolted to the motor, just need to attach all the little stuff, get the crossmember onto the truck, and have the DS shortened.

Eh, not too many pics. It was pretty straightforward, but I'll grab a pic of the PO's lovely, lovely welding jobs on the old crossmember, and the frame rot I discovered while under there. Once this thing's in Missouri, it's getting parked for awhile. Strip the whole thing down and get all that fixed up.

the frame rot I discovered while under there.

:brows:

00947537000%3Fhei%3D500%26wid%3D500%26op_sharpen%3D1&size=4&dhm=4f8d4808&hl=en

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200405530

My suggestion when the day comes that you decide to look into getting your own welder, buy the shielding gas tank first. The welder is easy to get at a good price compared to the tank... 80 cu ft is the largest you can legally own without a license IIRC. I'm not too into the whole renting a tank thing. We don't weld THAT much and welding gas has a long shelf life. Cheaper to buy the tank outright IMHO.