crank position sensor????

My truck died on me in the middle of a mud hole...pulled it out...unplugged and plugged the cps connector and it cranked back up...Ran a little and began skipping like hell and eventually died again...went to unplug/plug again and the wires were so hot they had began to melt...I am thinking I have a ground problem an attribute it to changing transmissions and transmission xmembers...What you guys think? Ever ran into this?

Probably is a melted/shorted CPS harness. But, I can't stress enough the need to CLEAN the engine grounds at the dipstick tube bracket and on the driver side firewall. Also make sure the ground strap is tight on the back of the head. By CLEAN, I mean remove the eyelet, scrape the paint off the engine/firewall, and reinstall. When I was service manager at a Jeep dealership from 1980 thru 1992, and thru the introduction of the XJ and MJ, I can't tell you how many weird problems we fixed by cleaning the above mentioned grounds.

Oh yeah the cps wire is melted for sure..Already put new grounds on the battery and cleaned the ones at the block...Now i gotta get the one at the firewall...I think I am going to add another one or two also just to help..As far as updates on the build i will get some up soon..I have added the winch, bumpers, hydraulic assist steering..Fixing to start on a exo-cage and add on board air..