Title question

maddzz1

After reading many threads about people getting vehicles without titles I was thinking. Since in RI you don't need a title if the vehicle is over 10 years old, couldnt I register a vehicle without a title then request a title from the DMV? saying I was going to sell to someone out of state and needed the title for that purpose?

A guy I bought a jeep from stated that there was a state(OK I think) Where if you bought a vehicle w/o a title or lost yours, you paid like $400 in court fees, and go to the local court. When you got there, you basically went in front of the Judge, he asks "Do you swear that this vehicle is not stolen..." and you walk out with a title, free and clear...

Anyone verify?

Rob L.

I'm from RI too, just registered my comanche.

In RI, for vehicles over 10 years, you do not need the title to register it. you just need the previous owner's registration. you also do not need a VIN check if it's over 10 years old. Also, the RI DMV will only re-title vehicles that year 200 or newer.

this is from the RI DMV website, http://www.dmv.state.ri.us/titles/

----------------------

Here you will find information about taxes, titles, duplicate titles, salvage information, custom builds, leased vehicles, and lien information..

PLEASE NOTE: The DMV is currently titling vehicles that are 2000 and newer.

Vehicles that are older than 10 years are not titled. The Registration Files section in the Pawtucket DMV branch can assist you in documenting the vehicle's information.

---------------------

to sell a car from ri more than 10 years old, the registration is the de facto title... any other state should accept it as proof....

So if someone in another state had a decent MJ with no title, I could register it for them in my name then send them a bill of sale with the registration and then they should be able to register it? Know one has asked me to do this, I was just thinking :hmm:

to sell a car from ri more than 10 years old, the registration is the de facto title... any other state should accept it as proof....

So if someone in another state had a decent MJ with no title, I could register it for them in my name then send them a bill of sale with the registration and then they should be able to register it? Know one has asked me to do this, I was just thinking :hmm:

I'm thinking your on to something there. Perhaps RI has a limit on buying and selling of cars for personal use? Too many and they might want you to get a dealer license? Nothing seems illegal or immoral, but those two are not necessarily the same.

Scott

I thought you could apply for a lost title anywhere :dunno: You can here, they look through the history and try to find the last registered owner (which almost never happens) and eventually just give up and give you a new title. Sometimes they're stupid about it and you'll get denied for reasons unknown, but that's just the nature of dealing with the good ol' government.

yep, i know of people who have done just that, but i believe you have to have some kind of proof of previous ownership, i.e. previous registration.....

"I'm thinking your on to something there. Perhaps RI has a limit on buying and selling of cars for personal use? Too many and they might want you to get a dealer license? Nothing seems illegal or immoral, but those two are not necessarily the same." i don't think that there is a limit to how many you can have registered, i had 4 registered to me at one point.. on the form you fill out at the registry it asks if the vehicle is part of a fleet or not, and i never know what to say :rotf: ...

and brak, welcome to the club! good to see another RI member on here... where in RI are you from?

yeahthat.gif Welcome!! nice to see another ri member. where u from?

u can get away with not needing a title for vehicles over 10 years old. u may need to insure and register it and inspect it inorder to do that. but not sure if there is another way around it.