Wanting a MJ

But, it'll be a while till I can find one around me. So I have a few questions on how to build one up.

So far, I've been thinking of useing the 6.5" lift kit from Rusty's Off Road. Then I'll need the SYE kit. Then maybe have a Ford 8.8 or D30 in the front, and a D44 in the rear. Hopefully, I can get a locker in the rear. And run some 35s on them maybe. How's that sound?

I know I'm pretty new to actual off road mechanics, so I've probaly forgot something. I've been looking through here and just looking at how people built there MJ's up and what they had on them.

This rig will be made for when it does go off roading, it'll do well. But also be able to drive around town and stuff.

Thanks,

Mike

Well we won't be seeing an 8.8 in the front cuz they are rear only......and stay away from Rustys stuff.

The rest of the plan sounds good.......your pointed in the right direction already ( anyone wanting an MJ is a step ahead of everone else already )

Lots of knoledgeable MJ freaks on here so if ya got any questions you will get them answered.

Good luck with the search :D

Check out Rubicon Express , they have a good rep.

Also check out TnT customs , nice long arm setup.

Rock Krawler has some quality stuff too , and there are others as well.

My lift started out as a Rubicon Express kit that I have modified heavily......happy with the quality , but if I were to do it over it would be TnT stuff for sure.

don't buy rustys as you will here and read alot. Do a SOA rear and buy all the front componets from different places to insure a good quality. Pretty much do a complete bastard lift kit with all the parts you prefer to have so you don't have any regrets in the end. Also you don't need a SYE in a manche with 6.5" of lift i am running 7.5-8" and i have no issues except i lengthened my D-Shaft. Also the Front axle woulnt be a big issue unless you are running 35s or bigger or heavy footed IMHO. The rear is another story...The d35 in the rear is very weak and needs changed but with saying that i have a 35 with 35" BFG tires and never broke plus i have a lockrite in it. I have had alot of luck but i also take it super easy on it. Another reason i havent swapped is because i have 2 complete extra D35s and then a trail set of parts so if i do brake i can fix it.

I know others will help you choose parts for the front and let you know the best options for what you want it to do. Good luck

Cole

yeahthat.gif I'd just do a bastard lift like he said. As far as the dana 35 being weak, I've heard alot of stories about people breaking them. My last Comanche was a 4.0 5 speed but it only had 32's on it. It saw lot of air time and even 4 foot under the tires one time. I never had any problems with it, but I never opened it up either. I'd put an 8.8 under the rear if it was mine. Some of the guys on here can tell you better about what to look for and what not to in an 8.8. I went crazy with mine and I'm putting full widths under it. Just build it like you want, what you don't know you'll learn. 8)

I would stick with 33s (they fit in the wheel wells much better and are not as hard on the drivetrain), get the bigger U-joints (and axleshafts) from a later model XJ or TJ to put in your Dana 30, and don't forget about gearing to match those big tires.

Welcome to another IL'er. Pretty soon we will outnumber those damn OH folk, then we shall rule forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Bounty Hunter, and one other guy here are pretty close to your Hood. Mark(Lawn Chairs) is just over the river in MO.

Here is one for sale right in your redneck of the woods.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96294

The SOA sounds like a good idea. Seems it might take a while with replacing the shocks and stuff. Seems worth it though. Still with the D30 in the front and the D44 in the rear? Would 4.10 be good gears with the 33s?

Whowey, I've gone Jeeping with both Bounty and Stumpy before. I don't think I've met Mark before though. I might go ahead and go check out that MJ sometime. I'm no where near ready to start a Jeep project though... Thanks for the link.

I'm pretty sure I have an idea on what I need to do now.. Now, I need some money. :brows:

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, how do I know you? I'm sure I do, just first name is not ringing a bell.

You can buy my MJ, or check it out if you want some ideas. It's a D30/8.8 combo with 5.5" RE coils and SOA in the rear. I've only wheeled it once, and was impressed. The 8.8 has a limited slip and I've got a LockRight locker ready to go in the front. Also geared down to 4.10.

The SOA sounds like a good idea. Seems it might take a while with replacing the shocks and stuff. Seems worth it though. Still with the D30 in the front and the D44 in the rear? Would 4.10 be good gears with the 33s?

Thanks,

Mike

the gearing is a very personal thing. also depends on trannys.

from what i've heard/seen

AW4 you shuold try to get the perfect gears

manual: just go low

Bounty, I'm Jeff's younger brother. We followed you up to RockPort last time we went up. Main point of making this post was to get my ideas straight. Most likely won't be able to talk my dad into getting my MJ for a while. I'd like to go check out your MJ sometime. I actually saw your MJ wheel a bit, last day of the back 40.

Hopefully, it won't be an automatic. I'd like the manual more.

Mike

Okay, thanks for the heads up, know exactly who you are just wasn't familiar with the first name.

There's been a few MJ's pop up on the StL Craigs List, as well as the MWJT forums. Taz on here has a really clean '88 MJ if you can talk him out of it, er, talk his wife into letting him sell it ;)

Have you been driving the Scrambler?