"other" rims?

for the tire to go straight up, the axle must go straight up. you can measure the space between the bumpstop and the lower cup and that'll tell you how far the tire can go straight up. I think you'll be just fine with the 15x8s and 30s :thumbsup:

Well, I've figured out that the 15x8s off the 2004 Wrangler WILL fit my '88 Comanche. However, being stock ride height, I think I'm asking for trouble running 15x8s with 30s or 31s. I took a good look at the 15x7 alloys I have on there now, and if I look straight up from the outer tire edge (225/75 Michelins), if that wheel was to bounce straight up, it'd bottom out on the fender. Oh wait, maybe it won't, it'll hit the bumpstop first, right? If it looks that close on the 15x7s I have on there now on the front, I'm guessing 15x8s will definitely rub somewhere, either at the lower fender edges, or upper fender, without a lift of some kind?

Ed Stevens on NAXJA long ago took the front springs out of a Cherokee and cycled the front axle through every configuration of motion possible, all the way to the bump stops, with 31x10.50-15s mounted on 15x7 Jeep rims. The only interference was the slight rubbing of the inside shoulder of the tire on the lower control arm at full steering lock.

I had 31x10.50s on my '88 MJ and I ran them for awhile after I removed the lift. I am now running the same tires on my '88 XJ, which is the same in front and has smaller wheel wells in the back. As predicted by Ed's experiment, the only rubbing I have even encountered is the shoulder of the tire rubbing the LCA on tight turns.

15x8 rims would push the outboard side of the tire out by 1/2" to 3/4". Should not be a problem on the street but might be a bit of an issue if you go off-road and get the suspension really crossed up.

30x9.50s would probably not be a problem.

Pete and Eagle

Thanks for the no-BS info, that helps a LOT. I still haven't decided which route I'm going to take, either getting 31s for the 15x7 Jeep alloys I have on there now, or looking at this set of 15x8s with 30s. The only downside I've read so far is the Goodyear GSA 30s on the 15x8s are definitely not the best tire around (GSA = get stuck anywhere, lol). A new set of Firestone Destination ATs in 31x10.50 is going to set me back about $560, and the seller of the 15x8s with 30s is asking $275.

I'm throwing in the towel on trying to figure out the charging problem I'm having with the MJ, so I'm taking it to a repair shop tomorrow. Depending on how much it's going to cost to fix that problem, could influence which tire option I'll end up going with.

Thanks again for the "real world" info on 31s clearing fenders and slightly rubbing on the LCAs only at full lock. Since I have the WJ LCAs on there now, rubbing on them shouldn't be a problem. And that's a good idea to measure the distance between the bump stop and axle, and compare that with the wheelwell gap. That'll give me a much better idea of potential bottoming out on the fender. A 31x10.50 will be almost 3" wider in overall diameter than the 225/75 I have on there now. But cut that number in half, and add that to the top of the tire I have on there now, compare it to the bumpstop distance, and I'll know if a 31 will bottom out or not.

GM FWD wheels off the bigger bodied cars (lesabre, park ave, bonneville, etc.....) will work as well... i had 99 lesabre wheels lying around my garage and i slapped em on my parts pig cause i wanted the wheels from it... had to file the inside of the hub down a little bit on 2 of em so they would clear the rear hub, but they slipped on the front just fine...

Looked at some used tires on the local Craig's List, and it's amazing how the words "look like new", "lots of tread left", etc. can have so many different meanings to different people, lol! Based on those experiences, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a new set of Firestone Destination ATs, and just get them mounted on the Jeep alloys I have now. Total should be less than $540, with road hazard warranty. Next cheapest price I got was about $550 from WalMart, for a set of Uniroyal Liberators. WalMart had a GREAT looking tire, a Goodyear Authority AT, but a set of those would've cost over $620. The Firestones are made in the US or Canada, and the Uniroyals are made in Mexico. I'm staying away from Chinese tires, so that and the out the door prices cut the list down. That and the fact that Firestone has a 90-day same as cash plan helped sway me to those tires.

I did some measurements on the bumpstop distance, and came up with 65mm. Then I measured the wheelwell gap I have right now with the 225/75 Michelins I have, and came up with 125mm. So I figured I have about 55mm to play with, or a little over 2". From some of these tire calculator sites, a 31x10.50 will be roughly 2.75" wider in overall diameter, so a little over 1.25" at the top of the tire, so any up and down movement should still hit the bumpstop before the fender.

TireRack has some really good reviews on the Firestone Destination ATs, especially wet traction, so for the money, I think I'm getting a good deal.