New to me MJ

Hi all. This is my first Jeep. Its a 1986 Jeep Comanche X longbed with a 5.5" RE lift, SOA rear and 35" Mikey Thomson Baja Claws.

tpjrA9FDRzs

A friend of mine went above and beyond to get me into this Jeep. Far more than you would expect of anyone just wanting to sell their vehicle. Thank you Tony!

Its 23 years old and it shows it some. The body is in great shape as is the interior. It just has the usual quirks a 20+ year old vehicle has. Small fixes that can be addressed in time.

• [*:f7mi7jqe]Windows are difficult to roll down. The window seals are very stiff. May try to replace or trim them.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]*FIXED*Doing something about the squeaky rear window. Its driving me nuts.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Cab lights are not working.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]*FIXED*No sound from the stereo. Could be a bad ground or probably just needs new speakers and run some new speaker wire.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]New glass for one of the PIAA lights.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]New head and oil pan gasket.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]New gasket for the AMC20.

Where I'm planing on going with it as money and time permits:

• [*:f7mi7jqe]*DONE*Custom front and rear bumpers. Tony (the PO) is hooking me up with someone local to build custom front and rear bumpers. The plan is 3/16 steel plate with D-rings front and rear and space for a winch for the front. And possibly building a swing away tire carrier for the rear. Still working on the details
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Trim the front fenders. The wheels rub a bit on the front of the fenders so we will take care of that at the same time as the bumpers.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Swap and regear the axles. It has stock gearing right now so the highway is not its friend. The D30 up front has to go so I'll likely swap front for a D44. Depends on my budget and what pops up. (This is something I really need help with information on.)
    [*:f7mi7jqe]*DONE*JKS Quicker Disconnects. It has swaybar disconnects but they are rather corroded. I can't remove the pin on one of them.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Unibody stiffeners tied to the bed frame. Most likely go with custom ones as they are fairly easy to fab.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Rock sliders. Again custom, proably to be done at the same time as the stiffeners.
    [*:f7mi7jqe] After all that... ??? I'll see what needs to be addressed as I wheel it.

On down the line is:

• [*:f7mi7jqe]Regear the speedometer.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Repaint the truck to original factory condition (decals and all).
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Bedliner.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]*Got an Yaesu FT-8800R dual band amateur radio and a Cobra 1001Z* CB or more likely a HAM setup (or both).
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Convert the AC to onboard air.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]Winch.
    [*:f7mi7jqe]???

Looking on putting on that exact lift... Also for any questions/info, can you also put your drivetrain specs in the signature line?

Rob L.

I figure the transmission is a Borg Warner T5 and the transfer case is a NP207 but I have to verify that. The PO had conflicting info.

From what I saw on your video, looks like you have the 2.5L also?

Yep. Its done well so far. The axles really need to be regeared to get back the power. Its fine off road but on the highway its a dog.

Nice vid by the way, man that thing is clean! :thumbsup:

Rob L.

Thanks! The body is in great condition, no dents to speak of. The paint is faded some (one of the planned fixes down the road). Just the typical Nevada surface rust (I have yet to pull the carpet though).

Yep. Its done well so far. The axles really need to be regeared to get back the power. Its fine off road but on the highway its a dog.

Although people will have conflicting stories on this, it is rumored that a 2.5L automatic MJ/XJ will have 4.56 gears stock. I am unsure as what tranny yours originally came with (AX4/AX5) you might have either 3.55's(AX4) or 4.10's(AX5). Do you still have the stock axles?

Rob L.

Although people will have conflicting stories on this, it is rumored that a 2.5L automatic MJ/XJ will have 4.56 gears stock. I am unsure as what tranny yours originally came with (AX4/AX5) you might have either 3.55's(AX4) or 4.10's(AX5). Do you still have the stock axles?

Rob L.

Yep they are the original stock axles. Its a manual 5 speed transmission. From what I've read it probably has 4.10s (it is the Metric Ton package by my research). On the highway (running on flat surface) I'm just under 2000 rpms in 4th doing 65. Dropping into 5th kills the power (even on a slight incline I have to drop to 3rd to maintain speed).

Welcome! Fantastic looking truck, I love the Claws. While I've learned there is nothing exact about Jeeps as it seemed they could be built on order in almost any configuration, I am pretty sure that if you have the 2.5L you wouldn't have the Metric Ton pkg. The AMC 20 supposedly only came with the MT pkg, 86 was the only year the 20 was offered as a rear axle, so "technically" it doesn't jive. :dunno: Does the PO know if the 20 was swapped in? If so, the MT springs could have been swapped in too. Easiest way to tell if you have the MT springs is that there are 5 leaves, not 4.

Oh, and how do you fit in that thing, you are one HUGE dude! What are you, 6'6"?

:drool: Welcome! Thats a nice looking MJ! The wheel offset, lift and tires couldn't fit that truck better. I noticed the Reno4x4.com at the bottom of your avatar (or whatever they call that :hmm:) Do you live in the area? If so, and I ever get my MJ somewhat trail worthy, we'll have to get together sometime and explore some trails :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the progress on this truck :cheers:

-James

Welcome! Fantastic looking truck, I love the Claws. While I've learned there is nothing exact about Jeeps as it seemed they could be built on order in almost any configuration, I am pretty sure that if you have the 2.5L you wouldn't have the Metric Ton pkg. The AMC 20 supposedly only came with the MT pkg, 86 was the only year the 20 was offered as a rear axle, so "technically" it doesn't jive. :dunno: Does the PO know if the 20 was swapped in? If so, the MT springs could have been swapped in too. Easiest way to tell if you have the MT springs is that there are 5 leaves, not 4.

It has 4 springs. So maybe it's not the MT package. It does have the long bed and the AMC 20 though. The axles are stock. The PO only added the lift and tires.

These older Jeeps are weird. It seems they can have anything under them. Probably the only way for me to find out if it has a limited slip is to open the rear diff. Which I need to do as its leaking a tiny bit of fluid from one side of the cover.

Oh, and how do you fit in that thing, you are one HUGE dude! What are you, 6'6"?

6'5" :D I actually fit just fine. There's more head room in the MJ than my brother's Rubicon.

I noticed the Reno4x4.com at the bottom of your avatar (or whatever they call that :hmm:) Do you live in the area? If so, and I ever get my MJ somewhat trail worthy, we'll have to get together sometime and explore some trails :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the progress on this truck :cheers:

-James

Yeah, I've lived in Reno for 7 years now. I'm all for a run. Right now its been more wrenching than wheeling the last couple weekends.

Checked the flex today to see how much will need to be trimmed with the sway bars disconnected. It wasn't too bad. The fenders definitely need more trimmed off but at least I won't have to get rid of the flares entirely.

Fully flexed with the sway bars connected.

About 20.5" off the ground.

Fully flexed with the sway bars disconnected.

I gained about 8" of travel!

And a shot just for reference. :D

That´s a nice MJ and very well preserved

I'm scare of that size of tires and i run 3.75´or 3.73 gears (can't remember wich is correct measure

anyways welcome man

jamminz.gif

ricksjeepster you have 373 gears and 30x9.50x15 tires in your manche

Thanks for the data ivan onlysix!

:cheers: