New to me MJ

I'm still trying to figure out if I have the metric ton package. It has the long bed with the AMC20 but only has 4 leaf springs and it's a 2.5L. Talking to the PO he thinks they may have removed a leaf doing the SOA to level the truck. But he's not sure.

I've searched a lot of sites but almost all of them just paraphrase each other saying the D35 was a common axle and the D44 was a common axle in the metric ton package. Almost nothing about the AMC20.

Anyone here better informed?

I'm still trying to figure out if I have the metric ton package. It has the long bed with the AMC20 but only has 4 leaf springs and it's a 2.5L. Talking to the PO he thinks they may have removed a leaf doing the SOA to level the truck. But he's not sure.

I've searched a lot of sites but almost all of them just paraphrase each other saying the D35 was a common axle and the D44 was a common axle in the metric ton package. Almost nothing about the AMC20.

In '86 the AMC20 was offered in place of a D44... Check with my vin decoder on my site... www.comanchemj.1hwy.com

Rob L.

In '86 the AMC20 was offered in place of a D44... Check with my vin decoder on my site... http://www.comanchemj.1hwy.com

Rob L.

Thanks. That confirms it's not the MT package. So it's not a limited slip.

So today I got a few things done before the Trent Fab "Trick or Wheelin" Family Fun Run. Stopped by ORI to get my spare mounted (at a price that can't be beat), hit up Lithia Jeep of Reno for a tow strap and a hi-jack, and trimmed my front fenders for more clearance. Though I feel I'll have to trim more. All told I'm ready to hit Steve's Loop like Wayne Brady would slap a ho.

Today was eyeopening. So I'm facing a cross roads with my Comanche. What should I build up first? Regear the stock axles? Upgrade the front axle (its a D30)? Build up the rear AMC20? Install an automatic transmission? Do a locker in the rear? I can't do it all at once so which direction should I go?

Right now I'm thinking this progression. Locker for the rear and build up the rear AMC20, then upgrade the front axle and regear both axles, then an automatic transmission.

Its a long project to be sure. I just want to get off on the right foot.

• 3 weeks later...

GOOD LOOKIN' BUMPERS!!!

I'm not a fan of that style of weld on "D" ring. Hope they are welded on good!! :eek: :eek: Personally, I don't like any surface welded tow point. Should be thru mounted and welded front and back. But they do look really nice!! :bowdown: ;)

CW

GOOD LOOKIN' BUMPERS!!!

Thanks! Dylan built them exactly how I wanted them.

I'm not a fan of that style of weld on "D" ring. Hope they are welded on good!! :eek: :eek: Personally, I don't like any surface welded tow point. Should be thru mounted and welded front and back.

They've done their duty so far. I had to get the hook on the Trent Fab Halloween run and they didn't pop off. He did weld them in place throughly (they are held on with 1/2" thick supports). I do see how thru mounted ones would be better though.

A friend gave me a radio a friend of his gave him. He already has a great system so he handed it off to me. Its a never installed Clarion DXZ645MP: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HTZsDf0nAHt/p_020DXZ645/Clarion-ProAudio-DXZ645MP.html

So him and our friend Mark installed it today. Thankfully Mark is an electrical engineer for the Air Force and was willing to work for beers. :D He got it hooked up in no time. The only thing we couldn't get connected was the antenna. The lead was so short and the radio was longer than stock so we couldn't get it to fit back in the dash. Maybe later I'll see if I can reroute the antenna lead or make it about 6" longer. For now I'll just stick with CDs.

Its a nice little radio. Flip down/removable face, MP3/WMA playback, multi-color display (9 preset colors and can be adjusted to any of 80 colors), quite a few EQ settings that actually make the crappy speakers sound good, a remote and its Sirius ready. I'll definitely be replacing the factory speakers. The passenger speaker sounds rather crackly at low volumes.

A thru mounted tow point is stronger simply because its in more contact with the bumper its welded to. it gets welded to the front same as yours. Then its welded to the back. Eliminates more of the "shear" of a surface welded mount.

I have seen a couple surface mounted points come off and its usually not a pretty site... A pound of sling shot steel at the end of a strap or cable tends to FUBAR anything it comes in contact with...

Here is a pic of a mount before its thru welded.

DR1.jpg

CW

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Installed a Yaesu FT-8800R dual band ham radio.

1/4 wave antenna mounted to the roof with a NMO mount.

I mounted the main body behind the seat.

And the head above the rear view mirror.

All the wires are nicely tucked away. I may make an extension for the mic so I can have it coming out from the dash instead of hanging down. I may also need an external speaker, I'll see how it sounds from behind the drivers seat.

• 3 months later...

Just an update. I spun a rod bearing on the first day of summer and I'm planning on either rebuilding the engine or getting my hands on a running engine to swap in this winter. A friend of mine is thinking about swapping out his '91 2.5L from his YJ for a small block 350. As far as I can figure it would swap in, I just need to get the wiring harness and computer also.