My diff cover

I couldn't see spending 100 bux or more on a cover, eventhough i don't bash my axles off stuff i still wanted something a little sturdier for my wrangler i'm building. i already got the thicker d44 covers to replace the thinner scout covers. started w/ three pieces of flat stock and did this:

Image Not Found

fired up the welder, i was a little rusty at first, and i haven't used this awesome welder thats been in my garage for a while, once i got it dialed in i was pretty happy

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

i also welded a boss on the inside above the old fill hole to make a new fill hole to compensate for the higher pinion, and lowered fill hole that results. i welded the old hole shut, and ground half the front away.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

also made a drain plug in the axle

thanks, everyone should put the drain there. on the d44 there's a boss in the casting where they used to do it. drilling through the cast is very easy, and a 1/4" pipe tap and a plug is all you need.

if you wheel them the fluid should be changed frequently, makes it a lot easier.

i've heard awful things about having drains on axles. all the toyota owners shave their drains off and weld a cover over them. and ive also heard many people complain about buying aftermarket covers with drains because they get bashed and could either rip open or get so boggered up that you can't get a socket on it or an allen in there.

and also, did you have any trouble getting a good seal with the two cover bolts covered by the guard? if you drilleed them out please disreguard...

i've heard awful things about having drains on axles. all the toyota owners shave their drains off and weld a cover over them. and ive also heard many people complain about buying aftermarket covers with drains because they get bashed and could either rip open or get so boggered up that you can't get a socket on it or an allen in there.

and also, did you have any trouble getting a good seal with the two cover bolts covered by the guard? if you drilleed them out please disreguard...

ya i drilled those holes for the cover bolts after the pic. i'm not worried about the drain, its recessed a little in the casting, and i'll use a flush plug.

i'm working on another cover now, its a little more asthetically pleasing, but i still like the franken cover. :ack: :yes: i think these are great for toning/practicing/learning fabrication skills, cutting, heating, bending, and welding, since they're non load bearing or critical, and don't even have to look all that good either. but the one i'm working on now is functional, and good looking.......hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice diff covers guys!

I foresee an issue with the drain directly on the bottom of the axle. Drag that thing over rocks you could rip the drain out or burger the edges of the drain hole so the plug can't come out.

My TJ Rubicon has a drain plug on both axles and I can honestly say I have never used it. Pulling the cover and replacing the RTV is cheap insurance for an inspection and thorough cleaning.

This is the placement of the D44 drain on TJ's and JK's: