Top bellhousing to motor torx bolts...

I can't get'm out. My E14 socket is too big(just get a big snap when it skips over the edges) and my E12 socket is too small. No, I don't have an E13 or access to one.

Is there anything else I can use to get these stupid things out? They're all all that's holding the motor in at this point.

they are E12's.....

if they're boogered up past the point of no return, you can use a set of those damaged fastener-head extractors. They work well.

Replace those with regular hex head bolts upon re-installation and never go thru the frustration again

Jeff

We just did these last week. Mine were boogered up we ended up removing the motor mounts and let the motor down as far as we could. Then once we were sure the e12 was in place we pounded it on very carefully. Several small taps on the end on the many extensions while someone was guiding and watching from the top. This got it on and then they broke free I know exactly what your going thru :wall: Good luck!

you can also replace with studs so that you can slide the tranny up on them.

get the socket in place and drive it home with a hammer

There's no room for a hammer. There's barely room for the socket.

Local shop in town is letting me borrow one of those fancy torx wrenches, and with the head off, it shouldn't be too bad.

Well, got'm out. Took a plethora of extensions, wobble extensions, and plenty of swearing, but they're out. A friend of mine came out to help, and she just held a wrench against the wobbles to the didn't collapse and manage to break it loose.

you can also replace with studs so that you can slide the tranny up on them.

get the socket in place and drive it home with a hammer

There's no room for a hammer. There's barely room for the socket.

Local shop in town is letting me borrow one of those fancy torx wrenches, and with the head off, it shouldn't be too bad.

so what tool did you use on them? i don't understand glad you got it done though!

One of them I got with the wrench, which was just like a box-end wrench but for a torx head, and the other one I had to use a bunch of extensions reaching back to the tailshaft of the T-case, and a friend of mine had to hold a wrench against the extensions while I cranked on it from underneath. Very, very loud snap when it broke loose, I though I'd broken an extension.

86211.jpg

• 3 years later...

A 10mm 12 pt works better (even though it's bigger, I think it grabs deeper), but if they're already starting to round off, forget about it.

And yeah, I was a little irked at first seeing a topic I had started but didn't look familiar(being almost 4 years old).