fit 31s on stock mj (sorry if it is a repeat post)

Depending on the wheels that you use, you can get 31's on it stock, but they will rub badly in the front, making the truck useless for most anything other than very easy grocery getter duties ;) . The definition of "fit" is having a tire that will not rub at full steering lock or at full articulation of the suspension. A 3" lift is needed for a 31" tire to properly "fit". :smart: :cheers:

Depending on the wheels that you use, you can get 31's on it stock, but they will rub badly in the front, making the truck useless for most anything other than very easy grocery getter duties ;) . The definition of "fit" is having a tire that will not rub at full steering lock or at full articulation of the suspension. A 3" lift is needed for a 31" tire to properly "fit". :smart: :cheers:

I have to disagree. On stock rims, 31x10.50s will rub on the lower control arms when the steering is turned to full lock, but it is not "badly." And, since the rubbing is on the lower control arms, lifting doesn't do anything to alleviate it anyway.

Yes, they'll fit. I'm currently running 31x10.50s in my '88 XJ daily driver at stock height, and the XJ has smaller rear wheel wells than the MJ. I lose a bit of turning radius, and after a week to get accustomed to where I should stop turning the wheel, it's a non-issue.

I disagree on both replies, I ran 31s on my 86 and yes they do rub but only on the front inside fenders...I cut that out right at the tire instalation place with my grinder....ran it like that for a year and a half, before I lifted it..... check the cut I did on the front lower fender, that was before the lift....with that done tho it did help my approach angle alot....

I disagree on both replies, I ran 31s on my 86 and yes they do rub but only on the front inside fenders

Both Brent and I specified "on stock rims." Were you running those same aftermarket rims when you had the rubbing at stock height? That's the difference. There is NO aftermarket rim that has the same backspacing as the OEM Jeep rims.

There is NO aftermarket rim that has the same backspacing as the OEM Jeep rims.

OT,

but ifg anyone is looking to keep the factory BS,

these aftermarket 15x8's have 5.25" BS (same as XJ 15x7's):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-1 ... mage=large

are-172_w.jpg

Rim Diameter 15 in.

Rim Width (in) 8.00 in.

Backspacing (in) 5.250 in.

Offset (mm) +19.00mm

Wheel Material Aluminum

Wheel Finish Polished

Wheel Construction 1-piece

Beadlock Included No

Beadlock Functional No

Lug Nut Seat Style Conical seat - 60 degree

Hub Centric No

Center Bore Diameter (in) 3.270 in.

Center Cap Included Yes

Valve Stems Included No

Recommended Valve Stem 7/16 in. pull-through or bolt-on

Quantity Sold individually.

I run a set with TrXus 31x10.5's on the DD XJ (& ~4.25" lift).

FWIW, they don't rub my RE LCA's.

I sit corrected. There IS an aftermarket rim with factory backspacing. Nonetheless, it's a 15x8 and factory rims are (mostly) 15x7 (and the rest are 15x5 or 16x7), so those will still stick out an inch farther and may not stuff inside stock sheet metal with 31x10.50s like the OEM rims will.

I sit corrected. There IS an aftermarket rim with factory backspacing. Nonetheless, it's a 15x8 and factory rims are (mostly) 15x7 (and the rest are 15x5 or 16x7), so those will still stick out an inch farther and may not stuff inside stock sheet metal with 31x10.50s like the OEM rims will.

Also, while they do look nice, they are not hubcentric for our Jeeps. For me this is a no-no; puts all the forces that be on the studs. I'll stick to Jeep specific hubcentric wheels. :cheers:

Agreed.

FWIW, I run factory TJ 15x8's (canyons) on 'her' ZJ, and they have 5.5" bs, so the centerline is 1/4" closer to that of the XJ 15x7's.

Both wheels do stuff inside the fenders with 31x10.5's, but I still get your point.

Although my buddy's cheap steel wheels on his TJ are hub centric (and a pain to get off when changing a tire), I'm pretty sure my stock aluminium 10 spokes are lug centric.

I'm fairly certain all Jeep OEM wheels, steel or alloy, are all hubcentric. I've had four different sets of Jeep wheels on my truck over the years, steel, Canyons, Ravines, and 10-spoke GC wheels and all were hubcentric.

thanks for the replies, but i do not have factory mj wheels, ive got aluminum 16s from a ZJ (snowflake style?) will these give me more or less clearance?

They should be the same. But good luck finding 31x10.50s in a 16" rim configuration. I don't think they exist. You'll have to settle for a metric near-equivalent, I think. Michelin doesn't list any, and neither does the tire selector at Discount Tire's web site.

31x10.50r16 does exist, but starting at $185 (Parnelli Jones) going up to at least $370 (Procomp). And that is PER tire. I can't imagine paying $1850 for 5 tires in that size. Maybe for 37s...

265/70R16 is almost exactly the same size, with many more tires available for much less money.

Well I found a good used set of five goodyear MT-Rs (245/75R16s) off of a TJ rubi... $150, going to go look at them asap... Not 31X10.50s, but they should work nicely until i do the lift, fix the floors, replace windshield, fix rockers, replace doors... etc etc etc. I'm a glutton for punishment, but a $1200 4x4 mj was too good to pass up, even the ac works :banana: