New to forums and a new mj

ok so I'm a vivid cherokeeforum user but finally got ahold of a comanche worth picking up. its a 1989 2wd 5spd short bed not sure on the specs yet, cause i have not seen the truck in person yet lol i had my mom pick it up and had some pictures took. I'm picking it up next weekend or so. it has a hp 30 already swapped in i have a 4x4 cheroke for all the rest of the parts. oh ya i got it for $750.00 bucks pretty sure it was a steal but here it is

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Welcome to the forum! Got yourself a decent rig there.

I'd check the alignment before you drive it around too much. Whoever swapped the D30 on there didn't center the steering wheel, so there's a good chance they didn't adjust the toe-in either.

Gearing all the same?

When you put in your non-CAD axle, make sure to use the brakes that are on it. The brakes from your CAD axle won't work.

Not to be ingnorant, but what is the difference in the brake scheme between a CAD/Non CAD axle? I just never noticed.

There's no scheme difference per se, they're still both disc brakes and look the same, but there's several generations of brakes all with minor differences, and you can't swap back and forth, it'll cause problems.

I know the exact years, it's been posted before but I don't remember what they are.

also can anyone tell me my running gear like trans and motor. its a 1989 2wd 4 banger 5 spd short bed :cheers:

2.5 litre 4 cylinder with throttle body fuel injection, AX5 5 speed transmission, although my 1987 came with a 5 speed shift knob and a 4 speed transmission, Dana 35 rear axle ( most likely candidate ) Good luck!

Your existing computer and harness will not work with the MPI 2.5. You will need the entire engine wiring harness, computer and probably even the dash harness, You may want to search some different forum classifieds for the correct harness From an MPI 2.5 XJ and get it all so you can easilly swap everything over. I'm not sure if the MPI was ever used in the later MJ's otherwise that would work too. Good luck.. you may want to repost this in the tech section as well to get a better response.

• 1 month later...

so i got the truck today it runs great. I'm excited about this truck but no porwer streering is it easy to do the swap any info on this would be good i have a 93 4 banger ax-15 np231 donar for this project. and has power steering how easy would it be to swap it in :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so here's an up date pictures coing soon. i took the flairs off and i swaped in the power steering pump from the 2 door and got it working i used 1/2" spacers to make the pullys line up. i swaped in a non disco hp 30 on the front. next is the ax-15 np231 swap. :cheers:

so here's an up date pictures coing soon. i took the flairs off and i swaped in the power steering pump from the 2 door and got it working i used 1/2" spacers to make the pullys line up. i swaped in a non disco hp 30 on the front. next is the ax-15 np231 swap. :cheers:

you sure its coming out of a 92 wrangler i was pretty sure its a ax-15 never even herd of a ax-5

The AX-4 and AX-5 were found behind 2.5L engines (and also the 2.8L and 2.1Ls). The AX-15 is found behind 4.0L engines (89.5 - 99). The 2 engines do not share bolt patterns.

There are 2 ways to mate an AX-15 to a 2.5L, the first is a complicated process using a bellhousing from a 4banger Dakota (which had AX-15s behind their 4bangers) and the other is with an aftermarket bellhousing.