Tranny fluid?

chrysler will say atf+4 and that will work, but the aw4 did call for something else at that time to. at my shop we use valvoline max life atf, and it covers basically every american and japenese trans and most european, so if in doubt you can just go that route.

Dave, I have NEVER heard Chrysler recommend ATF4 for the AW4 tranny. That's what they use in all the Chrysler transmissions, but not the AW4. The two types are not at all interchangeable.

Actually, TSB 21-014-07 added the AW4 to the list of trannys using ATF+4. Do NOT do this. When I teach trans class I make sure every tech understands that this is not a good idea. The AW4 was designed to use Dexron. It is about the cheapest fluid out there. Use it. The AW4 is a great tranny. Why mess with it.

Dave, I have NEVER heard Chrysler recommend ATF4 for the AW4 tranny. That's what they use in all the Chrysler transmissions, but not the AW4. The two types are not at all interchangeable.

thanks aemsee, as i said "chrysler will say atf+4"

basically chrysler is trying to say that atf+4 will cover all preceeding trans fluids.

Actually, TSB 21-014-07 added the AW4 to the list of trannys using ATF+4. Do NOT do this. When I teach trans class I make sure every tech understands that this is not a good idea. The AW4 was designed to use Dexron. It is about the cheapest fluid out there. Use it. The AW4 is a great tranny. Why mess with it.

Interestingly enough.. this TSB is dated Apr 2007... after all the AW-4's in Jeeps would have exited their warranty period except late sale 2000's and 2001 models.. Yet in Oct. '06 Chrysler specifically exempted AW-4's from the ATF +4 recommendation.

Interestingly enough.. this TSB is dated Apr 2007... after all the AW-4's in Jeeps would have exited their warranty period except late sale 2000's and 2001 models.. Yet in Oct. '06 Chrysler specifically exempted AW-4's from the ATF +4 recommendation.

What a coincidence. So they won't have to fix any of them under warranty, but they'll generate a lot more work for their "5-Star" dealers' shops.

Machiavellian.

Unprintable sons of unwed mothers.

When you all say use Dexron, just grab the latest, IV or VI (can't recall what I saw last) or do they still sell older Dexron I/II grade?

I assume my '87 has the AW4?

What is the best fluid/filter change interval on these? Are "power flushes" recommended, or is it best to let the new fluid mix with the old in the converter? I know how with some really old/high mileage transmissions, a fluid change can flush out a lot of the friction material, and then the transmission start slipping. Are these prone to that?

The AW4 came on-line in 1987, along with the 4.0L engine. It doesn't have a filter that's easy to change, like when you change the engine oil. The "filter" is a screen in the bottom of the tranny. Replacing it requires dropping the tranny pan, which often results in destroying the dip stick tube (which is in two pieces, that don't like to come apart). I replaced the filter/screen in an '88 XJ that I was fixing up for my ex-GF, and once I got it open I was VERY sorry ... there was nothing in the screen that needed to be cleaned or replaced.

I'm not convinced about power flushing. I'm old-fashioned. I'd rather just dump the pan and refill on a more frequent basis.

have no fear in servicing the trans. it will not make it fail, it is better for it. i did the filter and gasket on mine, and then flushed it. 100% new fluid, and a new filter. new and clean is always better.

it is basically a myth that servicing a trans is gonna destroy it. maybe back in the old days, but even upwards of 130k i've serviced trans w/ no problems. unless the trans is acting up. also the way i look at it, if its on its way out its on its way, servicing the fluid may help the condition, and if it hurts it, it was already acting up.

the aw4 trans lasts forever so don't worry about it, service it up.

Oh, I have no problem with doing a full service (changing the screen) on an AW4. It's the right way to do it. It's just a royal PITA job, and you're almost guaranteed to destroy the upper dip stick tube extension and that's not an easy part to find if you're in a hurry.

It's the power flushing that I don't trust.

So since you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable on trannys, I have to pull the tranny and replace the seals on my 86 2.8L auto. Picked up some B&M trickshift synthetic ATF on clearance at advance auto awhile ago, and I'm assuming it will be okay. Any opinions? And any tips and tricks I should know before pulling this particular tranny?

:hijack:

ya, and we all know what they did with the fluids in ax5 and ax15 trans.

I'm not convinced that this was anything beyond a mistake. The original AX-4,5 recommendation in the FSM is AMC/Jeep/Renault Gear lube in 75w-90 (API GL-5) or equivalent. They may not have thought about the sulfur content in the EP additives of the GL-5 gear lubes attacking the yellow metals of the AX-15. I didn't think there was any(or enough) yellow metal content to cause issues with the AX-4,5.

Chrysler specifically exempted the AW-4 from the ATF+4 recommendation in Oct. 2006. But in Apr 2007 they suddenly add it to the ATF+4 recommendation.

• 1 year later...
When you all say use Dexron, just grab the latest, IV or VI (can't recall what I saw last) or do they still sell older Dexron I/II grade?

I was looking through this thread again, and I see where no one commented on that question. Is the newest Dexron fine, or do we have to hunt for an older grade?