This is what a 350 looks like in a comanche.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Will do. Won't be for awhile though.

since you have a 4x2 w/350, did you have to raise the truck for engine clearance of front suspension? I have asked AdvanceAdapters several times, and they can never tell me for sure. And, did it have a 6 or 4 originally, and did you change front springs?

It was a 2.8. I used solid motor mounts the triangle looking ones in the Jeg's book. The part number escapes me at this time but with stock coils I could flex it out without hitting the oilpan. I now have a 3" Skyjacker kit on it.

I think if you have an I6 you should be okay at stock ride. Try and find an F body oil pan if you can they are i bit smaller then most SBC pans. Check out Novak Adaptes they have a section about what to think about when your doing your swap.

I think if you have an I6 you should be okay at stock ride. Try and find an F body oil pan if you can they are i bit smaller then most SBC pans. Check out Novak Adaptes they have a section about what to think about when your doing your swap.

I have a 4 popper. Bet the springs for it were lighter that for the I-6. If I remember correctly, the 350 and jeep I-6 weigh about the same.

BTW, do the states were you live allow this kind of swap? Missouri doesn't. Here anything 1968 and later must have in it an engine available in that particular vehicle unless you re-license at as (and I can't remember what they called it) modified to the point it does not look like the same car, or is a "custom" and then is only for show and cannot be driven more that something like 1200 miles a year unless it is to or from a show. Something like that. If Comanches had come with a v8, one could go in it.

I think I'm good here... But I'm pretty sure if its the same year or newer motor you should be okay most places

This is what they told me for missouri, but added it has to be what was available in that brand, so a chevy 350 in a jeep won't pass inspection unless it is "modified" to the degree that it doesn't even look like a comanche any more and is licensed as modified, as basically your own "invention." I think the guy at the State Inspection office said this is a federal law, but I could be wrong. I will check into it further.

I was under the impression that 96 and later, since they need to pass emissions, need to have an engine in them that came in that platform, and that anything pre 96 was fair game as far as swaps. I have a few shops that I can call today to double check for us. If I can't get it street legal, I'm selling the truck and buying something else.

On edit-I know two guys with 302 V8 swaps here in StL in YJ's, so I'm really not worried about this, but I do want to make sure before I spend a bunch on chassis mods.

On another edit-I just talked to one of the inspection shops around here, and he said it doesn't matter what engine it has in it. If it's after 81, it needs to have a catalytic converter on it, and it needs to have a breather on the valve cover that circulates into the intake (pcv valve). This is, of course, in addition to the rest of the typical safety inspection stuff.

Pre 96 you can still have emissions legalities concerning engine and/or exhaust, depending on what state you're in. 76 and older is fair game everywhere because of lack of emission standards of any sort.

But a 5.9 Hemi in a CJ, YJ, TJ or XJ, if done properly, can be 50 state legal, as Jeep offered it in the WJ or ZJ, can't remember which, and they are all considered SUVs.

Don't know if brands can cross through the parent company. If so, any Dakota or RAM engine is fair game in a Comanche. Again, the 5.9 Hemi becomes viable. Or a diesel.

But for a 50 state legal swap, all emissions stuff needs to be there, stock and working.

Streetjeep I'm all good here in K.S. talked to an state DMV inspector and she said i was good to go. All they check to see is if the vehical was ever stolen by checking the vin...... I couldnt belive my ears. And thats only if the car didnt have a K.S. title

• 9 months later...
Ya know you could have gone with the Buick 350. 100-125 lbs lighter and the dizzy is in the front. Lots of torque and on pump gas.

What makes the buick 350 that much lighter? Aluminum heads? Block? Read up on it, and with it's long stroke it makes more torque, but also is a wider engine that the chevy 350 because of the long stroke. They say it is sometimes mistaken for a buick big block because of it's width. Might be a tight fit in an mj! They say it was used in the Gladiator and Wagoneer 68 to 71, so it "could" be considered a "jeep" engine, I suppose! :dunno:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...