Tire recommendations

BF Goodrich AT's MT's are always my first pic for a truck tire. Maybe the trail T/A you find on some new vehicles. Maybe a Trail T/A like found on many new vehicles.

You don't mention a price range. The BFG's are not the cheapest, but they offer a proven track record for a long wearing highly functional tire. Its not really the cost as your choice is a bit more now or possibly a lot more later.

CW

Thanks for the replies. Michelin LTXs are very good. I hate to admit it, but the set from my '93 ZJ that are now on the truck are going on 10 years old. :shake: For their age alone, they should have gone in the dumpster years ago.

Since the MJ gets driven a lot less, I will try to keep the price down, but I'll look at BFG for my next tire purchase for the '04 WJ. I HATE the stock Goodyears on it. Slippery When Wet - even when they were brand new. :(

I have a contact at Firestone. I will ask him if he can get a set of Coopers.

As far as I could find, last year, the only tires manufactured in the USA are Goodyear and Cooper. Do keep in mind the the Dick Cepek tires are manufactured in the Cooper facility too. The NEW Goodyear MTR might be a good candidate as well.

When it comes time for tires, I will be installing the Cooper Discover ST's (not the STT) on the MJ in a stock sized tire.

BFG AT's. I've had them on every 4X4 I've owned at some point. Of course, I'm a little biased my first job turning wrenches was at a company owned BFG store in the 80's. The quality has come a long way since then, somewhat so when they were bought out by Uniroyal, but more so when Michelin bought out the two of them in the mid 90's.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone. After doing some research and realizing my Jeep Rewards VISA points were soon to go away (see thread in The Pub), I got a set of BFG Long Trail T/A Tours through my Jeep dealer. I got 235/75-15s. The "Tour" version of the tire is geared more towards the wussy CUVs/SUVs that have watered down our macho, manly 4x4 segment. And since I am not very likely to go offroading, well, they were just what I needed. :rotf:

The Tours have "excellent" wet traction per BFG (rated higher than the non-Tour tires), so they're just what I wanted for a truck with no weight in the back. I can't get over how well they ride vs the worn out, 10yr old Michelin LTX M/S's I had on there.

The VISA rewards points paid for the tires! As flaky as my job has been all year, that's the best part!

Thanks for the advice everyone. After doing some research and realizing my Jeep Rewards VISA points were soon to go away (see thread in The Pub), I got a set of BFG Long Trail T/A Tours through my Jeep dealer. I got 235/75-15s. The "Tour" version of the tire is geared more towards the wussy CUVs/SUVs that have watered down our macho, manly 4x4 segment. And since I am not very likely to go offroading, well, they were just what I needed. :rotf:

The Tours have "excellent" wet traction per BFG (rated higher than the non-Tour tires), so they're just what I wanted for a truck with no weight in the back. I can't get over how well they ride vs the worn out, 10yr old Michelin LTX M/S's I had on there.

The VISA rewards points paid for the tires! As flaky as my job has been all year, that's the best part!

Got the same tires on the wife's XJ, good choice.

• 3 weeks later...

The price of tires has gone crazy over the last few years (or maybe it is just I am getting old). I replaced 2 tires on the truck just last month.

Got 2 Kumho Solus KR21, size 235/75 x 15 at $61 each plus all the extras. Total was about $82 each tire. These tires are rated 680 A B. Translation = 85,000 mile life. Yes, they are built in Viet Nam by a Korean company. BUT, comparable U.S. built tires would have been $50 per tire more. Yes, I looked.

Purchased them at Discount Tire/Tire America.

These tires are more than I will ever need to fully load the Comanche truck, equipped with the BIG Ton package and towing a 5000 lbs trailer.

Yes, I know they were not made in the USA. But I am by choice an American and believe the economic thoughts of that GREAT Scottish economist, Adam Smith. Also a SCOT by birth!

JJ