97 + Cherokee Intake

I have one in my 87 comanche...converted the truck to 95 H.O.

your years are wrong though. it's 99.5 thru the end of the 4.0 production. any jeep body style with a 4.0.

it's approximately a 15hp, 30ft/lb torque addition.

IIRC it doubles your intake volume to 4.2 liters (capacity of liquid/air inside the intake at any given moment)...that's about x20 on throttle body spacers.

I like it...but I have nothing to really gauge it's response off of. it went in with a modified drivetrain (built reman motor) with a lift, tires, and proper gears, and was put in along with the upgrade from the old renix setup when I blew the motor. I can tell you though, she really scoots compared to the old renix setup and is still faster than any of my friend's jeeps.

just the intake, nothing on the exhaust end?

you only want the intake manifold. it's bolt-on.

the only thing that could affect bolt-on is if you are running a header, and what type. I had to modify the #5 downtube pipe to the collector pipe on the borla header, and shave the intake manifold a little bit in that area.

in order to put that intake in, you need a 96+ serpentine tensioner bracket and pulley (because the spacing is different for the power steering pulley and without it the serpentine belt won't line up), and a 96+ 3-hole power steering pump pulley. you can drill the threads out of the old power steering pump where the bolts go in to tighten it down, rather than getting a 96+ pulley...needed because the 3 bolts go straight through the pump from the front and into the intake

bolt on your throttle body (don't use the 99+ it has an extra sensor) and fuel rail/injectors, then swap around some vacuum hoses and call it good.

this is only bolt-on with a high output engine. I'm sure you can do some porting on the intake to make it line up right with a renix....it will bolt on to a renix but the ports aren't quite right.

GoJeep has a write-up that involves using the 99+ injectors, but this way was just easier for me.

BTW...can't use 99+ exhaust manifolds as there are two...one for cylinders 1-3, and one for cylinders 4-6. no, you cannot do a dual exhaust setup with this (well, don't expect it to sound right...because the manifolds aren't balanced out properly between cylinders to allow for firing order to come through the pipes and sound good. they are set up as "duals" in order to use two pre-cats in the 99+ setup)

Yep, flows better than the cast ones. (made of plastic)...

Rob L.

I've got two intakes - one from a '00 Cherokee and another from an '01 Cherokee and both are made of aluminum.

my 97 intake is aluminum as well. The intakes on my Durango and Grand are both plastic but they also have 4.7 V8s in them. I have never seen a 4.0 with a plastic intake?

yep. that one off the 00 on ebay will work. you still will need to get the tensioner bracket and power steering pump pulley.

you can pull them at local junkyards complete for $100 or so, complete with the tensioner bracket

what type of 4.0 are you trying to put this on?

BTW...can't use 99+ exhaust manifolds as there are two...one for cylinders 1-3, and one for cylinders 4-6. no, you cannot do a dual exhaust setup with this (well, don't expect it to sound right...because the manifolds aren't balanced out properly between cylinders to allow for firing order to come through the pipes and sound good.

1 - Front manifold

5 - Back manifold

3 - Front manifold

6 - Back manifold

2 - Front manifold

4 - Back manifold

Looks balanced to me. :dunno:

BTW...can't use 99+ exhaust manifolds as there are two...one for cylinders 1-3, and one for cylinders 4-6. no, you cannot do a dual exhaust setup with this (well, don't expect it to sound right...because the manifolds aren't balanced out properly between cylinders to allow for firing order to come through the pipes and sound good.

1 - Front manifold

5 - Back manifold

3 - Front manifold

6 - Back manifold

2 - Front manifold

4 - Back manifold

Looks balanced to me. :dunno:

I don't think that's the proper firing order that's on that intake, but I could be wrong

Lot's of NQR (Not Quite Right) info on this thread. :D See these two links:

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=387 and

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6355

I disagree. the only thing I'm unsure of is firing order, because I don't have it memorized.

other than that, you may disagree with my info about needed mods to do the steering pump...but I am telling you now that I COULD NOT mount the p/s pump with the old bracketry/old setup.

I disagree. other than that, you may disagree with my info about needed mods to do the steering pump...but I am telling you now that I COULD NOT mount the p/s pump with the old bracketry/old setup.

While I do not give a dayem if you disagree, and you COULD NOT mount the p/s pump with the old bracketry, I DID, and w/o touching the new intake manifold. And why do you think everyone is referring to you when it comes to mis-information? I WAS NOT, and I hate using CAPS as you do constantly. But, since you ask, I do have some pics how it can be done; a major PITA, required some machining and was not worth the effort. But I ran it for a few months w. no problems until I found the rest of the stuff I needed to go along with my recently installed ZJ steering box; the much better 96+ pump bracketry, idler pulley, and a new WJ 04 pump for it's increased pressure to compliment the ZJ box.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

k. sorry hornbrod. *shrug* it seemed like I was the only one who provided any information in this thread, and so I thought it was directed towards me.

here's some pics.

had to modify cylinder number 5 down tube and intake tube on each header for clearance issues with the new intake and the borla header

here is the intake all cleaned up and painted

this is it with the 95 fuel rail and bored 62mm TB

here it is with all of the bracketry. [

I modified the pump in this pic, but didn't have the proper pulley yet so I just drilled a hole in the pulley (was to be temporary....has been that way since and I need to swap the proper one in when I put the "new" radiator in out of a parts jeep I have)

here it is installed

I did it with a complete conversion from renix to H.O.

K, looks good. I had a few minor problems mounting the fuel lines under the intake; used a modded double stock bracket for the pressure and return lines. Then clearance from the flex fuel lines coming up to the rail was tight in front also, and did a work-around for that to that worked out well. Can't be too careful w. the fuel lines. :eek: Your motor running yet?

K, looks good. I had a few minor problems mounting the fuel lines under the intake; used a modded double stock bracket for the pressure and return lines. Then clearance from the flex fuel lines coming up to the rail was tight in front also, and did a work-around for that to that worked out well. Can't be too careful w. the fuel lines. :eek: Your motor running yet?

yup. runs like a champ...that's in my 87 (the War Machine thread in MJ projects). have put 3500 miles on it.

since mine was renix prior to the swap, I just made a crossover connector using high pressure fuel hose, oetickres, the 1995 disconnects @ the fuel rail, and the renix disconnects at the body-side of the fuel lines. worked out good, and haven't had issues.

the truck is geared @ 4.10 and on 33's even 35's it is still faster than any lifted jeep around here, from what I've seen. I average 17mpg to 23mpg give or take depending on how I drive it.

only issue I have to cover now is to get the vent line for the gas tank hooked up to the EVAP canister...I'm sure that that is affecting my gas mileage, as well as causing a vacuum leak (lose vacuum @ heater box and CAD switch when turned off).

I had to play around a bit with swapping around vacuum lines for everything.