need advice on motor swap

Bought a really cherry '86 comanche in mint shape with lift kit too. Only problem is the extreme lack of power from the 2.5 4 banger. Is it possible to engine,tranny swap to 4.0 or other? And is it feasible? Thanx for any guidence you could throw my way.

This wouldn't happen to be a gold colored MJ would it?

yeahthat.gif :rotf:

The 86 models don't readily accept a 4.0L as the 87+ ones. You'll have to massage the firewall and redo the front clip/raditaor area to accomodate the larger engine. It can be done, but it's not a drop-in job.

I went from stock 205's to 235's with 4.10's and I can feel the loss of power, even with that small change. I wouldn't even try to run 31's on mine as it sits, especially if I lived in Colorado :eek: I'm moving up to 4.56's when the 31's go on mine.

Jeff

A stock '86 4-banger (unless it was a 4-speed manual tranny) probably has either 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Those are okay for 31" tires with a 4-litre engine, but a 4-cyl will be working pretty hard to run those tires, even with those gears. 4.56 would be better but was never a factory option, so you would have to buy gears.

As already noted, the 4.0L swap in an '86 is difficult. It can be done and it has been done, but it's a lot more work than the same swap in an '87 or newer chassis.

The rear-wheel drive GM 3.4L V6 is the same block as the Jeep 2.8L, which Jeep bought from GM. Your best, most cost-effective upgrade would be to swap in a 3.4L V6. Since the 86 MJ was available with the 2.8 from the factory, it's basically a bolt-in conversion. You will have to rebalance the flywheel, because the 2.8L was externally balanced and the 3.4L was internally balanced.

Perhaps a more interesting upgrade would be to swap out the throttle body injection for the newer Chrysler multi-port injection that came on-line for the 2.5L beginning in 1991. You would need to swap out basically the entire fuel and ignition system including the ECU, but the last versions of the 2.5L put out more horsepower and torque than the 2.8L V6.

You could also drop in a factory stage 2 or stage 3 cam.

I got the old transmission out of mine this last weekend. Pulled a lot parts off it. I think the old clutch was wornout and the throwout bearing pulled apart and leaked. Then a mouse made a home in it. I have the radiator out. Can the metal arond the front grill come off so I do not have to lift the engine up high to get it out? The Haynes manual I have is not that detailed. It looks like take the plastic off then the head lights, then a bunch of torx head screws. Not as easy as a Jeep CJ front end to remove.

http://hometown.aol.com/husky410ohio/my ... /auto.html

I got the old transmission out of mine this last weekend. Pulled a lot parts off it. I think the old clutch was wornout and the throwout bearing pulled apart and leaked. Then a mouse made a home in it. I have the radiator out. Can the metal arond the front grill come off so I do not have to lift the engine up high to get it out? The Haynes manual I have is not that detailed. It looks like take the plastic off then the head lights, then a bunch of torx head screws. Not as easy as a Jeep CJ front end to remove.

You mean the header assembly that the grille and headlight surrounds live in? It ain't metal, it's fiberglass. I would strongly (as in STRONGLY) recommend removing it, because one slip trying to hoist the engine over it and it's history. It's basically attached with screws on the outer corners, beneath the headlight bezels.

You can find Cherry pickers for around 200 bucks, for a folding one. This was one of the best buys I ever made, except I got a full size version that won't fold. They come in real handy for lots of things like building axles, bumpers, removing beds, and other various things.

I know it's not the best, but for a couple of uses, Harbor Freight have a folding hoist on sale until 8/28 for 149.99.

Whats that equal, 5-6 days for a rental?

Just another item on my wish list :brows:

Equipment / Tools that I only use once in a while, Harbor Frieght, ever day use, much better quality. :D

MY cherry picker is a non folding unit, and weighs a ton. It has been known to pick up whole vehicle front ends with the legs and boom extended out. I bought it used about 8yrs ago for 200, and it has been a real good tool to have when I have needed it, but in the way 90% of the time

I purchased a folding cherry picker from Summit. Summit is near me so I did not pay to have it shipped. And if you ever been to Summit WOW. It is the size of a super Wallmart and nothing but car stuff. I got the engine out and the chevy motor mounts bolted in. Here are the pictures:

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewShare.do ... nTD2eA%2f6

my Jeep page:

http://hometown.aol.com/husky410ohio/my ... /auto.html