1987 SB 2wd --> 4wd HO conversion

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did you wire up the dash to the back mj wiring harness cause i did the same swap and the both turn signals go off when i have one turn signal on and hit the brakes.
how did you get the taillghts to work

as mentioned...assume the running lights and turn signals are wired as they should be:

how did you wire up the tail lights cause I'm having trouble becuase when we have the blinker on and hit the brakes both blinkers go off

I ran a separate wire to the rear of the truck from the brake light wire (coming off the brakelight switch at the pedal), was able to neatly tuck it into the OEM wire loom all the way from the elecrtical output from the cab to the taillights. I cut the the flasher/brake light wire going from the bottom bulb to the top bulb at the taillight housings. This allowed only the bottom bulbs to function as the turn signals. I then spliced the new wire I ran to the rear to the top bulbs bright terminal. This allows the top bulbs to operate as the brakelights, completely independant from the turn signals. The running lights work normal as they are on a separate circuit. It works really well. :thumbsup:

-James

:thumbsup:

OK, so I said I was done working on the truck for awhile...SO WHAT, I LIED!!! My rescent Pick and Pull adventure revealed plenty of fresh '97+ C4C XJ's, and while I am more or less indifferent on the front end swap as I like them both, I have before seen the '97+ front bumper with the pre-'97 front sheetmetal, and found it to be a rather tasteful update for the MJ. I couldn't resist this '99 bumper. I am going to be returning for the OEM fog lights off another one soon jamminz.gif I had to modify the fenders to fit the end caps, and I chose a lower cut and fold under so I could bolt the '99 end caps onto the fenders, and of course I managed to chip the paint at the fold on the drivers side :doh: Guess I'll be getting that touch up paint out now. I'll probably also get the newer fender flares since they only want $5 a piece for them and try to figure out how to get them to mount onto the older fenders.

Before anyone asks, this MJ is more a pavement pounder than a wheeler, so I prefer the looks (and the price over an off-road bumper) :cheers:

-James

• 4 weeks later...
Well, this is going to be my last update for awhile on my MJ. Its been an awsome project, but now its time to go enjoy it jamminz.gif With travel plans, dirtbike races, etc going through the beginning of Dec, I decided to put the final touches on the truck for this coming winter and be done with it for awhile.

-I have put some stock Jeep wheels on it with 30x9.5 Goodyear Wrangler GSA's (trying to sell the American Racing rims, I want some black teflon coated wheels...the polished aluminum just doesn't fit the truck)

-I put the camper shell on it :ack: ...but I got a nice fitting air mattress for the back, so it will serve its purpose well.

-I got a GREAT deal on a new sony stereo that has a USB input, so I just leave my thumb drive in there with 1,000's of songs and it has great sound quality...I never got into the I-pod craze..

-and I finally registered it (been sneaking around with plates off my other MJ until now :roll: ) I wound up getting custom plates, for as much as I HATE them, the lady at the DMV conned me into getting them (long story) I don't like the standard "sunset" plates as they call them, so I opted for these retro blue plates pic'd. She said I had 5 spaces, and she began to come up with all kind of stupid stuff, so the only thing that came to mind at the moment was 4X4MJ...it was avail so I just went for it to get out of there :shake:

Image Not Found

And the dirtbike found a new home :clapping: And a great use for my new hitch :banana: I just got back from a 263 mile trip with about 20mi of which off road (desert motorcycle race in the middle of nowhere, NV...they couldn't make the access easy :fs1: ) and this setup works GREAT! (but I can definately feel the 350+ lbs hanging off the back, wouldn't want to jerk the wheel hard at high speed)

Anyway, its been fun and thanks for all the compliments, help and support. I'll be happy to answer any questions or help anyone in any way I can for anyone who wants to do the HO conversion, just send me a PM

-James

Where did you get the camper shell and what brand is it? I am looking for one and I can't seem to find any that look that good. Since they don't make the truck anymore I don't know where to buy one. I would rather buy one used if I can, awesome truck!!!

• 10 years later...