1987 SB 2wd --> 4wd HO conversion

looks really nice id paint it red dtho :D

Mine was red now grey primer. problem with red is for 1 it's the most expensive paint to buy for a solid color, 2 it fades fast.

I like the white, I had a sample of a 1969 Spannaker White made going to spray my junk fender to see if I like it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just partial to red but idk why i like dark colours

me any color except red, I have been looking around at pics and really can not decide on what color to go with, I also like alot of the 1967-1972 Mopar (dodge,chrysler,plymouth) colors, my xj is a 1972 Datsan metallic blue pearl but after 11+ yrs of that color I am staying away from most blues.

Ya, when I got the truck re-painted a few years ago, I was also in debate. I kinda wanted to get away from the OEM Comanche colors, for something a little more unique. I REALLY like that midnight dark blue metallic that GM was using for many years; kinda looks black, but in the sunlight you can see the metallic dark blue...but at the same time, I always wanted a shortbed comanche painted white...but there are so many shades of white. Besides, I preferred a lighter color as its easier to hide any blemishes.

One day at my shop, a good customer of ours rolled up to our garage driving his white 2005 GMC Yukon Denali, next to him was a white Ford Expedition; the GMC white suddenly poped out to me as such a crisp, pure, clean white...I just knew that was the color I wanted, so I got the paint code of that Denali and took it into the body shop with the truck and said "this is the color I want." I am happy with my choice :yes: It's just asham they did such a crappy job on the prep of the door jambs and inside of the gas door and they didn't coat the rear fender flares thick enough to make up for debris kickup from the front tires; and just my luck the body shop went out of business, so I can't go back to get them to make it right :fs1: "lifetime warranty"...sounded good. Lesson learned :wall:

For a future project though, and I'm not sure what it is about the color, but I could see an MJ looking real nice in mostly stock form with late model Jeep wheels or aftermarket black teflon coated rims, black trim, tinted windows and that Copper color seen on the newer Dodge Dakotas :dunno: If I could afford to keep my LB mj, I would start making that my new project.

James

Sooo, I got bored and decided to try something a little different. I see too many XJ's running around here with the clear signal lenses. I had a bunch of "spray tint" left over from when I darkened the obnoxious taillights on my Subaru...I also had some extra front end lights lying around :idea: :brows:

I'm still not 100%, but I think I like it. I will know better when I get my fender flares painted black this weekend and installed...possibly the rockers too. I would also probably get a set of black headlight conversion housings (black reflector housing, the lens is clear to allow light to show through unobstructed). The only ones I can find so far are these "projector" style housings pic'd at bottom; not my first choice, but its an option. I think there are other options avail, I just can't find any yet (something like the HELLA "Black Magic"). Probably going to do a 4300k HID conversion at the same time too; I did this on my Subaru and it was the best upgrade I have ever done to any vehicle. Anyway, so far 1/3 the people that have seen it like it, 1/3 hate it and the other 1/3 are indifferent or want to see more done to the truck before they offer an opinion...any honest opinions would be welcomed.

i'm thinking about getting thouse for mine to, do you have the link for those ones?

I did extensive research and these projectors seem to be the only option avail in black; that said, there are two different "projector" style headlight conversions...this being the cheaper one (like $40 bux on this website for the housings) and the other being a full HID kit which has fully custom housings that stick way out for maximum effectiveness, but expect to pay about $900 bux for that kit.

Last night I ordered the cheaper housings from:

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?Pag ... tegory=204

I also ordered a 4300k Bi-xenon HID kit from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-CONV ... ccessories

They should both be here by weeks end; I'll take plenty of pics of installation and I'll borrow my buddies xj to do a side-by-side comparison of stock vs. black projector w/halogen bulbs and stock vs black projector w/HID.

I should also have my rear lift components and trailer hitch reciever by then too :banana: Jeep will be closer to DONE!!! I painted and installed my fender flares; WOW...I like it WAY BETTER now :yes: Check back later in the week.

-James

OK, first off I HAVE A LOT OF PICTURES in this posting, 13 I think, so any of those still stuck in dial up or whatever, be aware. I have painted my fender flares, installed my lift and installed my HID headlights. jamminz.gif

-Fender flares turned out GREAT!

-The lift is incredible! So the XJ donor supposadely had a 3.5" lift, the front of which is what I transferred to the MJ and then got the Hell Creek 3" lift spring packs for the rear...Dunno what happened, but the rear sat about 2" higher than the front after the install (maybe they sent me the 4.5" packs on accident :dunno: ), so I happened to have some 2" front coil spacers lying around and installed them...in doing so, I removed some .5" rubber like spacers at the top of the springs. Unloaded the truck now sits .5" higher in the rear, and with my usual load (my 300lb dirtbike & gear) it sits .5" lower in the rear. (I still need to put my 8.25 rear end under it, so it that may lower the rear a hair due to the larger axle dia.) Anyway, I am SUPER happy with the outcome of this lift. Also (FYI) the Hell Creek leaf packs ride incredibly smooth, I had expected them to be stiff. Definately a quality product. So, all said and done, I have no clue what size lift I have on my truck now, but I like it! I definately need bigger tires now though (current ones are 30x9.5)

-The HID upgrade was a dissapointment. I think the HID's are good, but I am sure its the black housings that are screwing me up as the light can't get the reflection it would from a chrome housing, so I am going to order some chrome housings and see.

Pics of the lift: truck is not on a 100% level surface, so the rear appears a bit higher than it really is...it was the only light I could find to take the pics in.

And now the HID upgrade...

And the ignitor ballast and harness install locations: (RT side inner fender, LT side under hood latch, next to air intake)

My MJ next to my co-workers xj:

-James

Managed to find time for the carwash today, cleaned the jeep up a bit and got some daytime shots :clapping:

Oh ya, and my new hitch FINALLY came in...

and it bolted right on with no resistance; Gotta bust out that heat gun and get rid of that U-haul sticker.

Now its down to some minor paint touch up, interrior button-up, new tires and that spray in bed liner and then this project will go from budgeted satisfaction to a flat out money pit...Already thinking crazy thoughts like a roll bar, winch bumper and teflon coated rims :nuts: ...But even if it never goes there, I'm happy with what I got now :yes:

-James

OK, so the end result with the HID conversion (for anyone who cares)...I got stuck in Reno after dark, had a 1 hr drive home over a dark and twisty mountain pass to look foreward to. As mentioned, the black headlight housings wern't working for me...so I made the trip over to my local Summit Racing, who is fortunately open until 9pm and purchased some HELLA sealed beam converion headlight housings and swapped them out right there in their parking lot...MUCH better now ($99 later :( ) :thumbsup:

All the following pics were taken at the same location, around the same time of the night, under the same conditions (all on low beam, cars parked on the left moved from night to night though), and with the same camera...unfortunately that camera was my cell phone so some of the pics are fuzzy, but you'll get the idea...

STANDARD WAGNER HALOGEN SEALED BEAM HEADLIGHTS:

SYLVANNIA SILVERSTAR PERFORMANCE HEADLIGHTS:

4300k HID HEADLIGHTS WITH BLACK HOUSINGS:

THE SAME 4300K HEADLIGHTS WITH THE HELLA HOUSINGS:

image_209027.gif

-James

nice man i wantto put hids in mine now but there illegal downb here

Ya, there Illegal here too...all over North America, I believe. Fortunately, there are enough "OEM" HID's out there now to where you kinda blend in, as long as the "color" temp is within OEM range. Of course, it may be a little more obvious on a 22 year old truck to any cop who looks that close, but hey, I rescently purchased this truck used and this is how it came...I had no idea, I will get this fixed right away officer :brows: If he absolutely must give me a ticket, then I will try my luck with the judge...and if the judge doesn't care, then so be it; I'll pay the fine. However, its been my personal experience, and from what I have witnessed from my buddies, as long as they don't stand out as super rich in color, and they are adjusted correctly to where there isn't any oncoming glare, and you don't go and hang out with those whom the cops like to target and nit-pick everything illegal about your vehicle, they will for the most part leave you alone. Of course, I suppose every part of the country is different in how strict they enforce these laws, so I guess I can't speak for all law enforcement. That said, I'm not encouraging anyone to do illegal stuff, I'm just sharing my experiences :chillin:

-James

Thank you for the Uhaul hitch pictures! I have been hunting for them for a long while. I really like how everything works with the factory bumper. Time to order the Uhaul hitch!
Does the hitch bolt on the inside or the outside of the factory bumper mounts?

Started DIY thread w/ pics; more details on hitch install if interested:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18297

-James

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is going to be my last update for awhile on my MJ. Its been an awsome project, but now its time to go enjoy it jamminz.gif With travel plans, dirtbike races, etc going through the beginning of Dec, I decided to put the final touches on the truck for this coming winter and be done with it for awhile.

-I have put some stock Jeep wheels on it with 30x9.5 Goodyear Wrangler GSA's (trying to sell the American Racing rims, I want some black teflon coated wheels...the polished aluminum just doesn't fit the truck)

-I put the camper shell on it :ack: ...but I got a nice fitting air mattress for the back, so it will serve its purpose well.

-I got a GREAT deal on a new sony stereo that has a USB input, so I just leave my thumb drive in there with 1,000's of songs and it has great sound quality...I never got into the I-pod craze..

-and I finally registered it (been sneaking around with plates off my other MJ until now :roll: ) I wound up getting custom plates, for as much as I HATE them, the lady at the DMV conned me into getting them (long story) I don't like the standard "sunset" plates as they call them, so I opted for these retro blue plates pic'd. She said I had 5 spaces, and she began to come up with all kind of stupid stuff, so the only thing that came to mind at the moment was 4X4MJ...it was avail so I just went for it to get out of there :shake:

Image Not Found

And the dirtbike found a new home :clapping: And a great use for my new hitch :banana: I just got back from a 263 mile trip with about 20mi of which off road (desert motorcycle race in the middle of nowhere, NV...they couldn't make the access easy :fs1: ) and this setup works GREAT! (but I can definately feel the 350+ lbs hanging off the back, wouldn't want to jerk the wheel hard at high speed)

Anyway, its been fun and thanks for all the compliments, help and support. I'll be happy to answer any questions or help anyone in any way I can for anyone who wants to do the HO conversion, just send me a PM

-James

how did you wire up the tail lights cause I'm having trouble becuase when we have the blinker on and hit the brakes both blinkers go off

I ran a separate wire to the rear of the truck from the brake light wire (coming off the brakelight switch at the pedal), was able to neatly tuck it into the OEM wire loom all the way from the elecrtical output from the cab to the taillights. I cut the the flasher/brake light wire going from the bottom bulb to the top bulb at the taillight housings. This allowed only the bottom bulbs to function as the turn signals. I then spliced the new wire I ran to the rear to the top bulbs bright terminal. This allows the top bulbs to operate as the brakelights, completely independant from the turn signals. The running lights work normal as they are on a separate circuit. It works really well. :thumbsup:

How much do you want for the American Racing rims? BTW, I had the teflon rims on my XJ, they look great but scratch easily. Not really worth the cost in my opinion. :shake:

Got them sitting outside my shop with worn-out 30" m/t tires for $300/set. The get a lot of attention, and people rave about what a great deal it is, but I have yet to see any money :hmm: The rims are in great shape, straight and not scratched. I see your in Vegas, I may be coming your way soon if your still interested.

Thanks for the info on those Teflon wheels. What a bummer. Guess I'm just going to have to be careful with them when I get them, I already have myself sold on a particular style; plus a get a pretty good deal on them through my work. I'm still months away from getting them, so I may convince myself otherwise before then.

-James

No, i don't have them anymore, they went when i sold the truck. When i got those rims i had originally ordered some steel wagon wheels, but these came instead, so i certainly didn't complain since all i had to pay for was the wagon wheels. After a little research i've seen prices for these from $180 to $200 each. Not sure if i would want to drop that kind of cash on some rims that are going to get trashed from the trail or stolen. :redX:

• 2 weeks later...