help again please (CHEVY LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP)

sinnaevd

alritey, i'm suppose to be putting a 3/4 ton frame under my chev truck, but have a plethora (SP?) of choice for tranny tcase combo's. what would you knowledable fellows think??

Choices are:

400 turbo w/203

350 turbo w/203

700r4w/208

350turbow/205

400 turbo w/208

what would you go with? why?

i was thinking the 700r4w with the 208, but i'm unsure...

help please

need to stay auto for the Mrs.

She needs to be able to trailw ith somethign once I get back into my Manche

I knew I wanted the 700, but I have no idea what the differences are between the tcases in a chev ( i am just new to chevs so i'm till learning)

400 turbo w/203

350 turbo w/203

700r4w/208

350turbow/205

400 turbo w/208

The th400 is the strongest tranny out of the 3. Bulletproof. Mmm, that's nice.

The th350 is pretty hardy, but not like the th400, and the 700r4 is nice for highway driving because of the overdrive, but isn't as strong.

The NP203 t-case is a full-time 4wd case.

The NP205 is a bullet proof t-case and is gear-driven.

The NP208 is an okay case, but is chain-driven.

I'd recommend the TH350-NP205 or the TH400-NP208, for strength reasons mostly.

BTW:

My '85 GMC is a TH400 (beefed up a bit) with a NP208. I liked the combo alot, and with the torque of the modded 350, it went anywhere I told it to without ever breaking.

My brother's '76 Chevy is a TH350 (beefed up) with a NP203 (changed to part time 4wd so it has a 2-LO option as well :D ). The tranny couldn't handle his driving, and is in piss poor shape now, leaking from everywhere. It's not a bad tranny, just couldn't handle him.

the 700 would be nice for what i'm looking for then i think. it will see some offroading like sand dunes and a little mud and what not but I can't see myself doign anything major to it. I will try to get the 700 with the 205, on another website they said the same thing.

it has a 305 with th350 in it right now, but i figured if i was doing the 4x4 conversion, i might as well upgrade for the price of nothin.

My personal Opinion would be to take the turbo 350, and buy an ORD doubler kit and use both the np 203 and the np205. This would be after I bought the Lomax or the Jb conversion 3to 1 kit for the 205 :D

Keep in mind that with the 203 and the 205 the Low range is less then 2to1, I am not sure what the low range is in the 208. Also the np205 can be twin sticked... if that is something you would be into :D

I can't see myself getting to extreme with it, mostly sand dunes with some mud. the 208 is suppose to be around a 2.5 to 1. I'm definately going to look into the double stacking thing though, because it looks like an awesome setup. i think i'm going to stay with the 700 for sure, i want to go to the 205 for its dependability, but the 208 is supposedly a pretty decent outfit. i have a nasty habit of wanting to go extreme for no apparent reason, espeicially when i know i'm not going to beat on it lol!

boys n toys i suppose.

i also suggest the 700 and am looking for one for my self as well. Not 100% sure of tcases either but am wondering if my current 231 will mate up to it as well since i've already got a SYE kit installed and custom matching driveshaft and don't want to have to do that all over again. Maybe someone here can answer that question for me as well just outta curiousity and don't mean to sidetrack your post. Also, what about size and fitment into the truck? Will i be close to the same length with the 700 vs the 5spd i currently have?? Thanks.

BTW... i'm looking because i just blew up my tranny this last weekend. :headpop: :headpop:

Sinnaevd you need to call me. jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

The reason why I say I would run the turbo 350 is cause no computer to set-up, or worrying about the lock up convertor. I am not 100% on this, but I think the early np231 had a 21 spline input, and the 205 is a 23 spline unit. Not 100% on that though. As with any tranny and t-case swap... it is always a crap shoot on weather or not you will need new shafts after the swap is complete

do you have any experience or knowledge on the lock up converter thingy? I really wanyt to go 700 lol. it has a th350 in it right now, but its only 2wd. I need 4x4 so the whole frame and everything will be changed over. but at least i can assemble just about everything without having the truck out of commission, so hopefully i can address most problems without running into major working issues. i know ppl have done the 700 transfer with relative ease, problem is i don't know these ppl. nor do i have n e idea what a lot of the components look like either. i'm relatively new to offroading, and super new to chevy. only work i've done is mopar...

well thanks for the help and suggestions. it looks like trying to import parts into canada is a lot harder then customs made it out to be, and i may miss out on this deal for now...but hopefully i will find a wrecker that has this stuff kicking around soon. it sucks when everything you need is across the border :cry:

Pete are you all for legality? just curious....i think i may have said the loud part quiet and quiet part loud lol

I am not 100% on this, but I think the early np231 had a 21 spline input, and the 205 is a 23 spline unit.

True on the 231's....early models behind the AW4, and ALL models behind a 2.5L (regardless of tranny) are 21 spline. There are variations on the input shaft length, though, depending on the output of the tranny it was behind. Some outputs (AW4 and MJ/XJ AX4/5) are flush, and take a short input, but some others (YJ AX5 in particular) have a recessed output, and take a long spline input. You can use a long spline in place of a short (the extra just sits deeper into the tranny) but not the other way around.....the shafts will engage, but just BARELY, like less than 1/2".

Ask me how I know (and have so much experience pulling trannies :cry: )

Jeff

Pete are you all for legality? just curious....i think i may have said the loud part quiet and quiet part loud lol

Depends. You have to weigh the risks and rewards. Drunk driving is a no, while storing 24 tires in the back yard is a yes. :D

its simply their trucks for me. i hate all gm cars above 75, can not stand them. but i hate ford trucks, and the mopar trucks are too pricey in my area.

if you go any higher then 87 for me though i start to dislike the styling on all gm trucks....i am very picky with trucks

had an MJ, and it is now in about a million pieces, and half of it is going to the junker to be crushed :cry:

• 6 months later...
I am not 100% on this, but I think the early np231 had a 21 spline input, and the 205 is a 23 spline unit.

True on the 231's....early models behind the AW4, and ALL models behind a 2.5L (regardless of tranny) are 21 spline. There are variations on the input shaft length, though, depending on the output of the tranny it was behind. Some outputs (AW4 and MJ/XJ AX4/5) are flush, and take a short input, but some others (YJ AX5 in particular) have a recessed output, and take a long spline input. You can use a long spline in place of a short (the extra just sits deeper into the tranny) but not the other way around.....the shafts will engage, but just BARELY, like less than 1/2".

Ask me how I know (and have so much experience pulling trannies :cry: )

Jeff

Have to input here just a bit. The 4 cyl 904 automatics are 23 spline only and shallow output ones. Same output depth as the full size Jeeps. To put the older shallow input tcases behind a long output later trans (say '91 up AW4 or AX15) you need a dana 300 THICK clocking ring (7/8" plus 2 gaskets so it doesn't bottom out)

Image Not Found

(this is my setup, currently in the for sale section)